SPSS Label usage

Dear Kobotoolbox users and support, I have not been able to make use of the SPSS Label since I start using the website last year.

Any help, I use version 20 of SPSS.

Thanks.

Mr. Onatunji, Alex B

National Diploma in Wood and Paper Technology (2013).

B. Forest and Wildlife (In View),

University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria.

+2348102394713, +2347052385384

• The RESCUE from SIN is the GREATEST of all rescue and Jesus is the RESCUER, Believe on Him today.

• Wildlife and Forests needs serious CONCILIATION with Man LA

Hi Alex,

Are you looking to import labels from KoBo Toolbox into SPSS, or to export SPSS into a KoBo form?

I am not sure about using labels from KoBo into SPSS (I am not an SPSS users), but the other way around would be quite easy. You would just need to save your .sav file as an Excel file, and then use the your SPSS labels under the “label” for each item in an XLSForm.

···

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 10:10:13 AM UTC-4, Alex Onatunji wrote:

Dear Kobotoolbox users and support, I have not been able to make use of the SPSS Label since I start using the website last year.

Thanks.

Mr. Onatunji, Alex B

• The RESCUE from SIN is the GREATEST of all rescue and Jesus is the RESCUER, Believe on Him today.

I mean using the downloaded SPSS Label from the kobotoolbox server.

Thanks.

···

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM, jos...@mail.harvard.edu wrote:

Hi Alex,

Are you looking to import labels from KoBo Toolbox into SPSS, or to export SPSS into a KoBo form?

I am not sure about using labels from KoBo into SPSS (I am not an SPSS users), but the other way around would be quite easy. You would just need to save your .sav file as an Excel file, and then use the your SPSS labels under the “label” for each item in an XLSForm.

Thanks.

Mr. Onatunji, Alex B

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Mr. Onatunji, Alex B

• Wildlife and Forests needs serious CONCILIATION with Man

Hi Alex,

Just for context:

When you deploy a project; that project is associated with one form.

In the download options of that form, there one choice to download a file called SPSS Labels. That’s a zip file containing a syntax file for spss.

In SPSS as - many other applications you can - you can work with the GUI (Graphic User Interface) to setup your files, or you can use “code” - as the command used in Microsoft DOS. In Kobo, those commands are called syntax.

When you’re setting up a database in SPSS you must assign a NAME, a LABEL and answer options with values. You can do it by using the GUI or you can do it - faster - with the syntax. What you have to do is unzip the file - within the zip that you download - and open it with SPSS.

If your questions and answers are written in other language different than english - it means that contains accent marks and thus -. You can open the syntax file with notepad and copy-paste that syntax in the syntax windows in SPSS. That is because if you open the syntax file directly, SPSS will not recognize - at least not my SPSS version - the non-english characters.

I wish I’ve helped you.

···

El viernes, 26 de agosto de 2016, 5:32:25 (UTC-3), Alex Onatunji escribió:

I mean using the downloaded SPSS Label from the kobotoolbox server.

Thanks.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM, jos...@mail.harvard.edu wrote:

Hi Alex,

Thanks.

Mr. Onatunji, Alex B

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Mr. Onatunji, Alex B

• Wildlife and Forests needs serious CONCILIATION with Man

Maybe there is somewhere us or some of the users are missing it. I get the syntax, open it but on running it I get this error message and I get a blank SPSS sheet. This is the error. Anyone with a workaround? I need the sysntax to export either the CSV file into a proper file I can use SPSS software with. Here is the error;

VARIABLE LABELS

Error # 100. Command name: VARIABLE LABELS
This command is not permitted before the beginning of file definition
commands.
Execution of this command stops.

Or maybe Kobo Toolbox has no association with SPSS.

Can we have a resolve on the issue of exporting to SPSS. I believe having a half baked solution is not ideal. Either the community agrees, Kobo Toolkit can not export data into a workable SPSS file and we take out as an option. Right now, the syntax file gives an error. Where are we missing this?

@bkgwadi, maybe our support article Converting Data into SPSS and/or Stata should help you solve your issue.

Your support article is not working @Kal_Lam. I am getting error message, can I share the files to your inbox?

@bkgwadi, could you share the error message through this post? It would be helpful for the entire community.

SPSS_Screen
I believe this or something like this, is what is missing in the syntax file. At least, let the syntax be directed where the file is located.

1 Like

@bkgwadi, we will have a closer look at it and get back to you.

Thank you @Kal_Lam Will be waiting for your worthwhile responce.

1 Like