Submission Failed error message 500 server down

Hello,

Many of our users have been receiving the following error message when trying to submit a form for the past day or so.
“Submission Failed The data server for your form or the Enketo server is down. Please try again later or contact support@kobotoolbox.org. (500)”

Could you please advise on how this issue can be resolved?

Welcome to the community, @KoboCoolbox! Could you also let us know the server you are using? I quickly checked to submit the submissions with Enketo and had no issues with our public servers. Could you try the same with a different modern browser (like Chrome, Edge, Firefox` etc.) to see how it behaves?

Thanks for your response @Kal_Lam . We are using the “kf” global server. I tried again on Edge and Chrome on PC, and Safari on iOS for both the online-only and online-offline versions of the form and receive the same error when there are photos included with the submission.

The submissions seem to go through after multiple attempts to submit after dismissing the error message, but we would like to know if the cause of this error can be identified and avoided. Let me know if you require any additional information. Thanks for your help!

Seems like the image size is pretty large. What is the image size?

The image sizes have typically been around 3 to 6 MB.

@KoboCoolbox, so how many images does a single submission have? Could you also let me know this figure?

Single submission = number of images x image size

The form we are using allows up to four images (with parameter max-pixels=3000), but the error message was showing up even when only one photo was included. 4 images x 4.5 MB = 18 MB

As an update, I just tried a couple of more test submissions with photos and was able to upload successfully without the error message showing up, but no changes were made on our end.

18 MB of image size for a single submission is large. Try to reduce the image size. You should be able to submit your submissions to the server.

Recent submissions with photos have been successful and the error message has not come up. Thank you @Kal_Lam

1 Like

@KoboCoolbox, :clap: :heart: :partying_face: