Submissions data table not filtering correctly (https://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info)

There is a bug on the data table showing submitted form information athttps://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info
On a column for a multiple-choice question, when one is selected starting with the letter A, the filter does not work.

Hello @aedas_falnesio,
Would you mind to provide more details, incl. screenshot, abd use the Bug Reporting template instead of Support, please.

1 Like

I cannot take a screenshot as that would violate the privacy policy. What I can do is describe that for a specific column generated by a long select list, the filter in the data table portion of the https://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info where we are able to view submissions for this specific form, it is not working properly.

I hope this helps. I cut it off to not show more than is needed, but as you can see I am trying to filter by a value that starts with the letter A and it is not filtering for that value. This is a select_one variable.

@aedas_falnesio Hi, can you check the names in the choices sheet of your form?

If the name of the second option contains the name of the first option, for example Name_1 and Name_11, your Name_1 filter will contain Name_11 too.

See this post for more info:

2 Likes

I only use numeric values. Should this still happen?

Hi @aedas_falnesio,

Does your name of the Fre*** values are 5X can you check it?

1 Like

Yes, it appears you are absolutely correct.

Do you have a solution for this predicament?
The select list has over 90 values.

1 Like

It is actually 35 and not 5X.

1 Like

@aedas_falnesio,
So the xml values 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 also appears when you filter xml value 3 right?

So basically KoBo Data Table filters by name, not the label.

My solution would be adding +100 to each name so the naming would be 101, 102, 103 and so on.

This way when you try to filter xml_value 101, the 135 won’t show up.

Or any other naming approach with same logic would solve your issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, it appears that when choosing item with label 5, what gets filtered are both X5 AND 5X.

1 Like

Oh, OK, understood!

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

One more thing, how will changing the name values of the form affect the already sent data. Will they be compromised in any way? Would they be deleted?

Hello @aedas_falnesio,
based on the explanation of hakan_cetinkaya, you can just filter with the (visible) names by changing your table settings to XML headers and values (instead of labels).

Changes to the naming of the choice list will create uncomfortable mix-up of old and new definitions in views and data export.

General advice, please: Do systematic and complete testing incl. viewing and export of data, before starting data collection. And avoid changing the form during data collection. (This community forum shows and discussed many problems resulting from changes during field work.)

2 Likes

@hakan_cetinkaya, :clap: :heart: :partying_face:

Hi @aedas_falnesio, @wroos, @hakan_cetinkaya thank you for investigating this. There is a Github issue already for improving the filtering for select_multiple question types and I have raised this particular issue with the team.

3 Likes