The link provided in the xlsform settings under the submission_url does not direct the submissions to google sheet

Thanks!

We are having an issue. It doesn’t submit at the end of filling in the form. We are trying to send it to a google sheet… Let me attach a pic to see if that gives more detail?

Hi @karenmcdonnellca,

Could you kindly brief us the stage when you see this error message?

GOOD DAY!

Hi @Kal_Lam

We see the error message on the device after we submit it just after we click on “send finalised form”

Warmest Regards

Karen

Hi @karenmcdonnellca,

In this case would you mind having a look at the url link (submission_url) that you used in the xlsform. Maybe this is not directing your submissions to where it should.

Could you share with us the url link that you have mentioned in your xlsform? We could have a look at it.

GOOD DAY!

Thanks @Kal_Lam

The submission URL is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zuYoEh_N9PnFIHrBjGNI32UTTtBmvapL-rkIQ7EHgz0/edit?usp=sharing

Hi @karenmcdonnellca,

OK Got it. So it seems like you are trying to use KoBoCollect (android app) to collect the data and the google sheet as the server (to hold your submissions). In this case i would advise you to use the ODK Collect to collect the data and you should be able to submit your data to the google sheet. Kindly please be informed that KoBoCollect at the moment does not support this functionality.

GOOD DAY!

thanks @Kal_Lam

Sorry to have so many questions and thank you for your support! :slight_smile:
To give context we are trying to get a case management system for feedback and complaints working across our organisation.

Question 1: If all submissions go to a specific Kobo user, can we pull the submissions into our system from whatever storage Kobo uses for submissions? How does Kobo store those submissions? Can a third party system extract data from it?

Question 2: The app doesn’t currently support the ability to set a form submission URL that goes to a Google Sheet. Can Kobo user servers be set up to automatically forward all the data they gather to a destination URL like a Google Sheet?

Question 3: Aside from being able to set up a server so that it forwards all submissions to a destination URL, can we download all the data from that server? There’s a “Collections” API in the documentation but we need to know more about how it works and how to set it up.

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Hi @karenmcdonnellca,

Yes, this can be done! Please see the support article where a user is able to extract data from the KoBoToolbox server using Excel Power Query and PowerBI.

If you wish to have your google sheet as your server which stores data go through the discussion that has happened earlier in the community forum. It should help you guide on how to do the same.

Could you share the link for this so that we could help sort it out for you.

GOOD DAY!

Thanks for your patience @Kal_Lam

Looking at question 2 below:

Question 2: The app doesn’t currently support the ability to set a form submission URL that goes to a Google Sheet. Can Kobo user servers be set up to automatically forward all the data they gather to a destination URL like a Google Sheet?

If you wish to have your google sheet as your server which stores data go through the discussion that has happened earlier in the community forum . It should help you guide on how to do the same.

I am wondering, it seems the instructions tell us how to use ODK to send form submissions to a Google Sheet, but what we’re looking for is how to send the form submissions already stored inside a KoboCollect server to a Google Sheet. So we submit our KoboCollect form, and its submissions go to the KoboCollect server, and after that, the server forwards the data into a Google Sheet. Is this possible? It seems like maybe the answer is no?

On Question 3 you requested the link be shared please see here: https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/collections/

I do have another question, for the sake of continuity I will call it Question 4: If we pull data into other tools from the KoboCollect account, can we also simultaneously erase the data that is being pulled? This is in the context of a repeating data extract which will create cases out of the form submissions when it pulls them out of the KoboCollect account. In order to avoid duplication, we would want to erase the data from Kobo once it’s been extracted.

Thanks for all of your support! it is greatly appreciated

Warmest Regards

Karen

I am just following up here to see if there is any guidance or advice? @Kal_Lam

Hi @karenmcdonnellca,

Replying to your concerns:

As of now i have not found any way-outs on this (i.e. pulling the data from the KoBoToolbox server to the google sheet (hope one our community members could some day come up with the same one day). However, you could also have a look at the support article Pulling your data into Excel Power Query. It should help you in pulling the dataset from the server to your MS Excel Workbook.

As of now i would say no (as to keep the dataset safe). But if you wish to take risk i would say yes. It’s always good to delete the dataset once the survey is marked completed.

GOOD DAY!

Thanks @Kal_Lam

I’m afraid this has become too techincal for me to understand completely. The lead on our project has asked for me to communicate this so I will, in as clear a way as I can figure out! The summary is How come .xls works but .xml doesn’t?

**He was experimenting with the instructions given in the article “pulling your data into
excel power query”

in order to get XML (not XLS) data out of our CFM account, related to submissions for our Feedback form.

When he ran the URL https://kc.humanitarianresponse.info/api/v1/data/454298.xls and entered the right credentials,he is able to download an XLS of the submission data.

However, when he ran the URL https://kc.humanitarianresponse.info/api/v1/data/454298.xml there is no downloadable XML file, there is an error (screenshot attached)

We are trying to understand why this is happening? How come .xls works but .xml doesn’t?

My apologies I cannot attach more than 2 links in a comment so this is the error mesasge

A post was split to a new topic: How do we delete a group of data (submissions) without deleting the form in KoBoToolbox?

Hi @Kal_Lam thank you for your response on the manual batch deletes. I’m wondering if you need any more info on the above (issue pulling XML), I have been provided with some examples I can share if that helps