Trouble syncing Kobocollect app

Hi, I have just introduced KoBoToolbox and the KoBoCollect app to one of our partners in Kenya. I have deployed a survey and given the partner permission to add submissions. He has synced his KoBoCollect device with the correct server (https://kc.kobotoolbox.org), but when he tries to ‘Get Blank Form’, he gets a message that ‘Server requires authentication’:

In my Kobo account settings, I then unticked the box saying ‘Require authentication to see forms and submit data’, to see if this would resolve the issue. When he tried again to Get Blank Form, he got this message: “Form list download failed. If you keep having this problem, report it to the person who asked you to collect data”.
Could you tell me where we might be going wrong? Also, more generally, could you explain the purpose of the account setting ‘Require authentication to see forms and submit data’, and is it a recommended setting?
Thanks very much!

Hujambo @eleanorn
The error message in detail indicates that that the username or password is incorrect. I have confirmed that the username is as written. I would recommend that the partner confirms their password, which seems to be wrong.

Stephane

This does not necessarily affect the log in from the collect application.

1 Like

Asante Stephane, I will double-check with our partner to see if he has entered his password correctly, although this was the first thing we tried. Is there anything else that could possibly cause this message to come up?

Eleanor

@eleanorn, your team should now be able to get the blank form to the device. I observed that the account was inactive. I have activated and the problem should now be resolved.

Thank you very much, this has now solved the problem!

I have one other user who is also having trouble. In her case, when I try to add a permission for her to submit surveys, it tells me that her username is not recognised. The username is xxxxxxx, and she has also tried with the username xxxxxxx. Would it be possible for you to check this for me to see if she is registered?

Thanks so much,

Eleanor

Hi @eleanorn
Always confirm that the user is within the same server as you are. Can you confirm which server they are located in whether OCHA or HHI

Stephane

1 Like

Hi @stephanealoo, she is using the non-humanitarian server, which is the one that we are using too.

Hi
You should be able to share amongst yourselves. Kindly send me the user names in a private message so that I have a look at them.

Stephane

1 Like

Hi Stephane, I’m getting a message saying I can’t send you a private message…?

Hi @stephanealoo, our username is xxxxxxx, and our partner’s is xxxxxxx, although she also previously tried using xxxxxxx. I’d be very grateful if you could check to see whether her account is registered and activated.

Thanks, Eleanor

@eleanorn, it seems like the username is not registered with the system. I checked it out in both the HHI as well as the OCHA server.

Thank you @Kal_Lam.

1 Like