Unable to collect voice recordings on Android (One+) phones

Hi,

I need to collect voice notes (recordings) using enketo forms. Here are a few of the problems I have faced ONLY with Google One+ phones (Android):
(1) I am unable to set a ‘default’ voice recorder app, as a result, only previously recorded and saved audio files can be uploaded.
(2) I tried “RecForge II” per the advice of some community members. This was detected by the phone and I was able to record a voice note. However, when I tried uploading it, the file that would upload was a “jpg” file and no audio file was uploaded. When I went into the Rec Forge II app, I could see the audio file there and share the file using the share option (to email or chat).

Has anyone else faced the same issue? If so, how have you resolved it? Please note that I am able to use the default recording app on other android phones (such as Samsung). I am only facing this issue with One+.

My issue is that people submitting responses are not tech-savvy and I am afraid that too many steps will put them off submitting data. I’d appreciate any help on this.

Thank you.

Welcome to the community, @knoronha! Could you share a screenshot of what the audio file looks like when it’s on the server? Are you able to play the audio file?

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Thank you for your response. I’ve included three files in this response:

1. The first is the screenshot on my computer when I try and play the file. As you can see from the screenshot, it just doesn’t play.
  2. The second is a screenshot from the phone as the voice recorder (Rec Forge II) submits data to the Enketo (Kobotoolbox) form. As you can see, there is no audio recorded (0.00) and the file uploaded is a jpg form.
  3. The final attachment is the excel download of the data. As you can see from the latest record, there is no audio ‘file’ available for that record.

Thank you.

ATTACHMENTS:

TEST_-all_versions-labels-_2022-10-12-06-59-21.xlsx|attachment (10.0 KB)

@knoronha, would you mind sharing with me the following information through a private message so that I could have a closer look at your case:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Note: You could share with me a private message as outlined in the post discussed previously:

I don’t see the option for “create a new personal message” (see screenshot. Which option should I choose?

@knoronha, I could download your media file and then play it with my media player.

FYR:

You will need a compatible player for this. I did it with the default windows media player.