"Unacceptable certificate" error

A team member is trying to upload KoBo forms to the server from her tablet. She is receiving an error message that I have never seen before. Can anyone identify what this is?

Thanks,

Blake

Welcome back to the community, @beyond_bias! Are you trying to submit the data from KoBoCollect android app to the server? And would you also let us know the server (OCHA or HHI) you are using?

Hi @Kal_Lam ,

Yes, we are trying to submit data from the KoBoCollect Android application to the server. And we are using the HHI server.

Thank you for your assistance!

Is your KoBoCollect android app's configuration OK? Maybe this support article should help you verify if they are wrongly configured:

The tablet with the same configuration has been in use for over a year without any issues. This is a new error as of yesterday.

@beyond_bias, as a cross check could you get a blank dummy project to your tablet that has submission issue? Could you make dummy collections and then submit those collections to the server to see if your tablet is able to send the dummy data back to the server? Note, try to use a very simple dummy project to test this. Maybe you could simply have a name variable in it.

Hi,

We tried to do as you have suggested. When “Get blank form” is clicked, there is loading and then an error message that states “Form list download failed” and “Collect can’t connect securely to the server at https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/. Did you enter the URL correctly? If you keep having this issue, report it to the person who asked you to collect data.”

I just used my tablet to log into the same account and had no trouble accessing the form list. The user on this tablet also confirmed that their username and password was correct.

Do you have any idea what else may be causing this?

Thanks so much!

Blake

@beyond_bias, seems like you have not configured your KoBoCollect android app properly. Could you configure them as outlined in the support article:

Also, could you please share with us a screenshot from your KoBoCollect android app’s General Settings>Server? This should help us troubleshoot your issue (if issue still persists).

Hi Kal,

As mentioned, this was working until very recently. The issue started the last time the individual tried to sync data. They have successfully synced 200+ surveys in the past and there were no new changes to their configuration before the issue occurred.

I am attaching a photo of the server settings.

Thanks!

Hi @beyond_bias, could you change your URL to the following:

https://kc.kobotoolbox.org

Simply delete the / that is at the end of your URL https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/. Doing this should solve your issue.

1 Like

Hi Kal,

Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. It persists.

Blake

1 Like

@beyond_bias, would you mind trying this in the URL, please keep the rest as it is:

https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/beyond_bias

Kindly please let me know what happens.

There is still a certificate error that pops up.

@beyond_bias, is this an issue form only a single device or from all or your device that you are using to collect data?

This is an issue on only one tablet collecting data. There are over 50 in use for this project in three different countries.

@beyond_bias, I mean does all 3 tablets collect data for the same project or are they collecting data for 3 different projects?

Hi Kal,

Sorry that my response was unclear. All of the tablets are using the same survey.

Blake

@beyond_bias, could you check out the following:

• The date and time of the device is distorted
  • The device has both KoBoCollect android app and ODK Collect android app installed

If yes, could you please fix them as follows:

• If the date and time of the device are distorted, please fix them.
  • If the device has both KoBoCollect android app and ODK Collect android app installed please remove the ODK Collect android app from the device.

Hi Kal,

After all, it was that the date and time of the device was distorted. Everything is working as expected now. Thank you so much for your expertise and patience, as always!

Blake

1 Like

@beyond_bias, glad to know that your issue has been finally resolved.