Unknown question type 'begin_kobomatrix'

Hi,

I am trying to upload an XLS form with the kobomatrix type of question. I was part of the team who asked Kobo developers to add this new question, and it was built in a way that was easy for users to fill in the rows in XLS, having in the survey page:
And the listname (or rows) in the choices page.
It was working well for many months, but for some reason now I can’t upload this form as this question type seems to not be recognized.

The https://opendatakit.org/xlsform/ checking says 'Unknown question type ‘begin_kobomatrix’.

When I create the kobo matrix with the form builder first and download the xls form after, it is really messy :

And thats the reason why we had worked with the developper to make it look better.

Any idea why this is happening and how it can be fixed?

Thank you

Diane

Hi @dianedetoeuf,

The second image you shared is the perfect xlsform for the matrix question type. Please be informed that the matrix question type uses the Grid-theme layout setting. If you know how to use the Grid-theme layout setting you can build your matrix question in the xlsform.

Hi,

Thank you, I actually fixed it, there must be the column header “kobo–matrix_list” to make it work :
And yes the begin_kobomatrix does exist :slight_smile:

Best

Diane

2 Likes

Hi @dianedetoeuf,

Thank you for sharing this to the entire KoBoToolbox community. I checked it out with the example you provided and seems working fine for Matrix Type Question.

survey:

Picture%201

choices:

Picture%202

settings:

Picture%203

Enketo Display:

1 Like

This is very informative indeed. Thanks both.

2 Likes

Thanks you very much. Please how can we refer to a kobomatrix question ? For the example above, i want to check if they selected Car as a asset at home in order to ask additionnal question

Hi
Just as in other questions, whenever you want to reference a question you must know the name for the question in this case the name should be referenced as ${Q1} and you can use this as constraints within the next questions. Please note that if you do use matrix question you may not put dependant questions on the same matrix i.e. if Q2 is dependent on Q1 you should not put it within the same matrix.

Regards
Stephane

Thank you but my worry is that when you refer to Q1, how to choose the appropriate item since we have three row corresponding to the three item?

Hi
When you check the choices sheet you have to indicate the specific label name. In the earlier presented diagram for example, for Car the name was car so if you use reference car for that label.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Thank you very much Stephane for your explanations.

Can I have an example of syntax referencing choice of a kobomatrix in a different kobomatrix or group of question .

Regards

Provenance : CHEUMETOU Jules Merlain
Programmeur Informaticien

Tel: (+237) 674863239
Email: cheumetoujulesm@live.fr

Hi Jules,

Not sure what you mean by referencing choice in a different kobomatrix. The kobomatrix was created to be able to ask different types of questions about the same list of items.

I’m attaching an example of form using the kobomatrix, hope this helps!

Diane

bns_household.xlsx (35.3 KB)

Hi Diane,

Thank you for ur support although I managed since. I meant by referencing : have access to a nodeset (which is in kobomatrix question) outside the kobomatrix .

Best regards Jules,

Téléchargez Outlook pour Android