Uploading Kobo Forms Fails

Hello,
I am trying to upload my data collected offline on my Android device to the server but the upload fails. I was told it is a connectivity issue blocking the submissions from syncing with the KoBo Toolbox Server.
What can I do to fix the connection?

Thanks,
Sonja

Welcome to the community, @sonja04! Could you also share with the community a screenshot of what the error message looks like?

Yesterday I set my project settings from online-offline submissions to Android application and then re-entered the server URL on the device. Suddenly I could submit my forms within a blink. However, when I tried the same with my other project the upload failed again. It also kept switching back to online-offline submissions. I dont know how to make the Android selection permanent. Today I could submit a couple of forms, one by one and each taking about 5mins to be sent but this might be due to poor internet connection. Now again I get the following error “Error: Generic Exception: Error 502”.

Now I am getting another error:

Hi @sonja04,
Are you using “kc.kobotoolbox.org” or “kc.humanitarianresponse.info” as your server in your android app. You can change with “kc.humanitarianresponse.info” and let see what happen.

1 Like

@sonja04, maybe you will need to share the screenshot (from the Settings>Server) of your Collect Android App? This should give us a hint to see if the configuration was done wrongly.

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion. I am using the “kc.kobotoolbox.org” as server which is also where i created my account so I dont think the humanitarian URL would work.

Sure, this is my server setting:

If you’re experiencing connectivity issues preventing your data submissions from syncing with the KoBo Toolbox Server on your Android device, here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Android device has a stable and reliable internet connection. Connect to a Wi-Fi network if available or verify that your mobile data is working properly.

Retry the upload: If the connection was temporarily disrupted, try submitting the data again. Sometimes, network hiccups can occur, causing the initial upload to fail.

Check server status: Visit the KoBo Toolbox website or their official social media accounts to check if there are any server issues or maintenance activities that might be affecting data sync. If there are ongoing issues on their end, you may need to wait until the problem is resolved.

Update the KoBo Collect app: Make sure you are using the latest version of the KoBo Collect app on your Android device. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can help resolve connectivity issues.

Clear app cache: Go to your Android device’s “Settings” and find the “Apps” or “Application Manager” section. Locate the KoBo Collect app and clear its cache. This can help resolve any temporary data conflicts that may be hindering the sync process.

Reinstall the app: If clearing the app cache doesn’t work, consider uninstalling and reinstalling the KoBo Collect app on your Android device. This can help resolve any issues related to app configuration or installation.

Contact KoBo Toolbox support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, reach out to KoBo Toolbox support directly. They will be able to provide specific guidance and assistance to help you troubleshoot the connectivity problem and get your data syncing successfully.

1 Like

Hi Stetson,
thank you a lot for your suggestions. I tried all of it. As i reinstalled the app I have now lost all my saved forms. Is there a way to recover them?

@sonja04, sad to hear that. Maybe try as outlined in this support article Transferring forms and data manually from one android device to another.