URGENT: "Sorry, this response is invalid" error means we cannot finalize surveys on KoboCollect

Hello all! I tested out a survey a couple times before getting to the field, but today, when we deployed, one of the text questions, regardless of what we put in the field, returned the message “Sorry, this response is invalid.” It’s a required question, set to text format, so we now cannot finalize the surveys and upload for analysis.

How can I work around that to get these surveys sent and uploaded?!

Hi @mmay,

Are you still facing this issue? If yes, would you mind trying out some of the followings outlined below:

1. Close the KoBoCollect android app and then start the data collection again.
  2. If (1) did not work, try checking out the KoBoCollect version you are using. If you are using an older version try updating it to the latest version v1.25.1 and see if the issue still persists.

Please let us know if it worked out for you!

Have a great day!

Hey Kal_Lam,

We have done both of these things. Other surveys works just fine, it’s just this one question on this one survey. Various android phones were used to collect.

Marlena

Hi @mmay,

Could you mind sharing with us your xlsform in a private message (if it contains confidential information), or else even here if it’s normal to share.

We would like to check it out at our end!

Have a great day!

Hi
When you get this kind of a message, normally this is an issue with a constraint on your form which is not accepting a response typed in. Could you check on the constraints around the questions that are in your screenshot.

Stephane

1 Like

@Kal_Lam = I built the form directly on KoboToolbox - here it is attached! atHPJQ24XRYEGA2AKG4rh5.xls (25.5 KB)

@stephanealoo - That’s what I was thinking as well! In my hurry though, I went back to the problematic question, deleted it, added it again, and now the form works. So the XLS form attached is actually not accurate to the one that was causing the problem.

2 Likes

Any response or suggestion regarding this?! I have 40 surveys stuck on devices that I cannot analyze and I need to move forward with our analysis!

Hi @mmay,

Just tested your xlsform. Though i did not understand the language you used, i quickly scanned the syntax and everything seems to be OK. I then uploaded the same in the KoBoToolbox server and filled up a form with Enketo as well as KoBoCollect android app and was able to successfully enter and submit the same to the server.

So, i could confirm that the xlsform should not have any issue as shown (in your image). However, as a workaround would you mind uploading the xlsform as a different project name and then see what happens? Also note if the same device that did not work previously works smoothly now (with the new deployment)?

Please let us know what happens!

Scanned xlsform:
atHPJQ24XRYEGA2AKG4rh5.xls (45 KB)

Thanks for the response @Kal_Lam - Yes! The XLSform doesn’t have any issues, and I can collect new surveys using the same form, and have made another survey with a different name as well! All of that works great! My problem is I cannot figure out how to upload the surveys collected during the corrupted version of the survey that was previously deployed. 40 surveys were collected, and I cannot finalize those surveys on KoboCollect on any of the devices, even with the new version deployed on those android devices since those surveys were collected with the corrupted version. How can I get those surveys uploaded to the server? It keeps sending me the same response as shown in the first screenshot: that the “Donde” question responses are “Invalid” and therefore I cannot finalize the form.

Hi @mmay,

Would you mind trying out the method that has been outlined in the support article Manually Uploading Submissions here.

Alternatively you could also try out a method (using the ODK Briefcase) as outlined here that has been discussed in the past.

@Kal_Lam - Thank you so much for those tips! When I enter the URL: https://kc.humanitarianresponse.info/mmay (with my username) I get this screenshot. Can’t figure out how to upload the compressed file on this page. We’re so close! What am I missing here?

Hi @mmay,

Try using this link:

https://kc.humanitarianresponse.info/mmay/bulk-submission-form

as outlined in the support article:

It should solve your issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like