"Username not found" when viewing collected data? What's the issue here. I'd like to collect usernames for my project

“Username not found” when viewing collected data? What’s the issue here. I’d like to collect usernames for my project.

Hi Ryon,

I guess by this you meant you had set the question type username to be picked. Unfortunately this does not pick the “suggested characteristic username” you may have to create a very specific question that would pick this characteristics.

Regards
Stephane

I’m having the same problem. I have created a form and am collecting data. I would like to share the results we’ve collected with others. I created USERNAME1 as advised. But how does someone login as USERNAME1 to access the results? Thanks.

Deepak

Hi @demlabs,

You could probably go through the support article Managing Permissions to learn more on providing access to users to view data and forms.

GOOD DAY!

Hi
Normally when you are collecting metadata using the functionality username, you should know the following:
• When you collect the data using online webform-This data will not be captured and it will be defined as “username not found”
• When you collect the data using the app KoboCollect or ODKCollect- This data will be collected and the username will be documented for the account that is logged into the application

Hope this helps in resoling your issue.
Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Hi,

I have multiple projects whcih require authentication for submitting data and I have assigned relevant permissions to users for the same. We collect data online with Enketo forms.

But sometimes, the data shows “username not found” for some form entries making it diffcult to track user-specific submissions. ( screenshot attached)

Looking for help in resolving the same.

Thanks in advance.
SHB

Hi
Please see this thread for response to your issue
Stephane

Hi,

Thank you for suggesting the thread. It helps.

As I mentioned, we collect all data through Enketo forms only. Some submissions do show the user_name field while other don’t. The xlsform I wrote explicitly collects this metadata -
start
end
today
username

Will collecting this metadata - help in displaying username ?

Thanks.

Hi
You need the metadata to collect, however you must specify that the form requires log in for data collection for the metadata to pick the username.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Yes, we have done that as well.

Hi @shb,

Please be informed that if you wish to see the user_name in your dataset you will need to ensure the followings:

• Collect your data with KoBoCollect android app. Collecting data with the web form does not support managing user_name.
  • Configure your KoBoCollect android app as outlined in the discussion that has happened here.
  • Configure your project’s Layout & Settings as outlined in the discussion that has happened here.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It really helps @Kal_Lam

Good day to you too :slight_smile:
Regards.

1 Like

@stephanealoo @Kal_Lam I have just read a heap of (old) posts on metadata collection - specifically, username. I have designed a form that field operatives use fill out to collect data - however, they do not have to log in to do so. They simply use the url I provided them with, enter the data, and submit the information when they have reception. Username is collected as metadata, but none of the field staff ever logged in or created a Kobo account (until now). Now, I have someone who wants to be able to see the data he has entered, and he has now created an account & has a username. I have shared the project with him, allowing him to only see his data, but he does not appear to be able to see anything at all.

1. Is this because to see this data, he would have to log in before collecting/submitting the data, as opposed to simply opening the form on his phone and collecting the data? In other words, because he has only just created an account, the old data is not associated with his username?

2. does this mean that in order for him to see any data he subsequently submits, he somehow has to log in to the phone app to collect and then submit his data?

3. I have also read that this only works with Android phones - all of our field operators are using iPhones. Does this mean that none of these operators will be able to see their data, even if they all create usernames?

4. If iPhone users are able to have usernames associated with he data they submit, then please can you let me know what I (or they) need to do so that they can then see the data they submit?

Many thanks,
Tania