Xml label seen instead of labels while downloading data

We will update you when we find the issue that is affecting your case @digbijoy_1.

Hi @digbijoy_1, I’m currently looking into this. It seems that since you only added translated labels into your form from version 6, when you download your data with the option Include data from all 7 versions checked, all the data collected before version 6 will be exported without the labels. The solution is therefore to un-check the box so that you are exporting with the latest version of the form and your labels will come through.

1 Like

Hi @Josh, thanks for your help. Really happy to get the suggestion. The only problem now is, I can’t find any option to check or uncheck ’ include data from all 7 versions’. Where can I find that?

You should be able to find it out as shown in our support article Recovering Data From Previous Form Versions.

Thanks @Kal_Lam, I can do it now.

2 Likes

Hi @digbijoy_1, while I was investigating your original query I stumbled upon some more troubling issues with your export that we’ve been looking into. There seem to be several things that combine to result in mangled exports for your project.

1. When creating your form in the formbuilder, as you have seen, there is an “autoname” given to each question and choice if not specified by you. Since there are restrictions on which characters are valid in a name, the label of “১০২। তথ্য সংগ্রহকারীর নাম” you specify in the formbuilder is converted to somethinbg like “_”.
  2. To avoid having repeat names in a form, as you continue to create Bengali labels, the autonames are incremented as _1, _2, etc.
  3. You then deploy the form with question and choice names such as _, _1, _2, etc.
  4. When you made changes to the form by deleting a question (with autoname of _2 for example) and creating a new one, the autoname of _2 was used again, therefore colliding with the previous question.
  5. The issue is compounded if the new question, with the same autoname as the deleted question, has a different type, i.e.:
  • Old question: name: _2, type: text
  • New question: name: _2, type select_multiple
  1. Finally, when in version 6 you created new translations for each question and choice, the new label changed the autoname** again so it no longer lines up with the previous version of the question, i.e. an autoname of __01 could have been renamed to ____42 (something unrelated to the previous autoname)

**only if a name was not specified for the question or choice

Many unfortunate things have combined here to confuse the export which we will work to address in the future. In the meantime however, we will create separate exports for each version of your form which should be coherent (the issue is when the versions are combined in the export) and send them to you. If the current current project is still ongoing, there are several things you can do:

• Archive the current project to stop submissions coming in and clone it to a fresh project, using that one to continue collecting data
  • In addition to the above, it would be best to go through each of your question and choice names in the formbuilder and specify a name so that it doesn’t change automatically (something more meaningful than _, etc.)
  • If you continue collecting data in the current project, you will need to refer to the separate versioned exports we’ll provide you for the earlier submissions to make sense.

For all future projects, it will be best to specify a question and choice name explicitly as you build the form — especially if the generated autonames are coming out as _, _1, _2, etc (as @Kal_Lam noted here). We will improve this functionality in the future and we apologize for this confusion.

2 Likes