About downloading the bulk media, photos

Hi @ashish7654,

What is the total size of your media file?

Have a great day!

its around 8 to 10 GB might be

Hi @ashish7654,

8 to 10 GB seems to be a huge file. Well in this case would you mind using the Free Download Manager a third party software. It should solve your issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like

How to download with Free Download Manager do u have any steps to do that?
It did not work

Hi @ashish7654
If you search on how to use the specific free download manager you will find how to use it. In essence, a download manager simply downloads your files.

Stephane

1 Like

I just want the media to be downloaded as the media is more than 5gb its not downloadable directly. Do u have any idea?

Have you tried using the download manager suggested by Kaylan?

It did not work

Hi @ashish7654,

Try out as outlined below:

• Try this out with a smooth and fast internet as your file seems pretty large (greater than 5 GB).
  • Make your data public (until the download finishes).
  • Get the downloadable link as outlined in the post discussed earlier:

Hope it works for you.

Have a great day!

Hello @ashish7654, I had same issue of downloading large attachment file. I solved through api request. using curl … This is the script that gets the attachment
$ch = curl_init();
//your username and password for authentication
$username = ‘’;
$password = '
’;
$authorization = “Authorization: Token your-token-api-here”;
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, array(‘Content-Type: application/json’, $authorization));
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, “$username:$password”);
// set url
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, “https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/attachment/original?media_file=user_name/attachments/image_name”);

//return the transfer as a string
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, array(
            'Content-Type: application/json',
            'Connection: Keep-Alive'
        ));

// $output contains the attachment file
        $output = curl_exec($ch);

// close curl resource to free up system resources
        curl_close($ch);
1 Like

Hi @Suhsant,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful workaround to the entire community! It should benefit a lot of users having download issues with large Media Attachment ZIP. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Expecting the same in the upcoming days as well!

Have a great day!

I got the error failed as it has more than 5gb of data

Hi @ashish7654,

Have you tried out what @Suhsant has advised you. TRY USING the API! It should solve your issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like

hello @Kal_Lam and @stephanealoo please let me know if there is API for only selected column or without attachment or media.

thanks in advance

Hi @Kal_Lam , I tried following @Suhsant solution, but as a result still there is attachment not found message. I want to ask as in answer in CURLOPT_URL section as you provided ‘https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/attachment/original?media_file=username/attachments/image_name’ , username means login username ? And image_name , where will we get this ? Do we need to call another API for it?
P,S : ashish7654 and me, we working in same project , and this is not solve till date, since question asked.
Thanks .

Welcome to the community, @sailenm! Do you mean you are not able to download media zip?

Thanks @Kal_Lam , yeah i cant download , i m following API way , and in CURLOPT_URL = https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/attachment/original?media_file=username/attachments/image_name
I am confuse on username and image_name ?

Pinging in @Suhsant here.

cc: @Josh

@Kal_Lam I m so sorry , just now i figure out the issue , our file will always be inside some two folders, in which name of folders are something like serial codes, So in above same CURLOPT_URL = https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/attachment/original?media_file=username/attachments/image_name , we need to add those folder name too , like attachment/folder1/folder2/image_name.

Thanks for time and response. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to know that you were able to figure out the issue.