Calculate Error "Couldn't understand the expression"

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a calculate question into my form. I have three questions that require a number answer and want to add an addition of those three number answers like so:

QUESTION FIELD:

Do you have a written constitution accepted and approved by all the members of the organization? 1 - No Constitution; 2 - Some rules/principles written down; 3 - Written constitution exists but it is not approved; 4 - Written constitution approved by the board

ANSWER FIELD:

[Number}

···

QUESTION FIELD:

Do you have a committee/board that meets and makes decisions that guide your organization’s development? 1 - No board, no meetings; 2 - Board established but it never meets; 3 - Board occasionally meets 4 - Board meets regularly (quarterly) with useful guidance and decisions made for the organization

ANSWER FIELD:

[Number}

QUESTION FIELD:

Do you have a mission and set of values which are clearly understood, agreed and approved by all the members of the organization? If so, how are they used? 1 - No clear mission/values; 2 - Can describe the mission/ values of the organization, but they have never been agreed or written down; 3 - Mission and/or values written down long ago, but few people were consulted or understand them now; 4 - Mission and values were agreed and approved by board and are regularly used to guide decisions about projects and activities.

ANSWER FIELD:

[Number}

As next step, I want the form to add the three values, so I added a “Calculate” tab with the following title (with the names in set braces being the names assigned to the prior three questions):

${constitution} + ${governingb} + ${mission}

I thought this was enough for the calculation to take place but when I redeploy my form, I get the following error:

Unexpected KoBoCAT error 400: {"detail":"ODK Validate Errors:\norg.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Invalid calculate for the bind attached to \"${calculation}\" : Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: Calculate��aValue in expression Calculate a Value\n\n>> XForm is invalid. See above for the errors.\n\nResult: Invalid"}

I am not sure where the problem is - can you help?

Thanks!

Thanks for your message. This is just to confirm that we have received it and will respond to you as soon as possible. If you have any additional information to add, please reply to this email. Thanks in advance for your patience and support.

Please visit our detailed support pages at http://support.kobotoolbox.org to access our tutorials. There you will also find community Questions & Answers to public questions.

-Your KoBoToolbox Team

[[b2a89b02fb372367530053fa5fce7a88cd7abbb3-932681913]]