Can't get the map (search for location) in phones

Hello! Me again haha

When my coordinators are trying to locate a place where they have been before in their phone (filling a form of a previous activity) they can’t get to search for the place where the activity was, they can only select their actual coordinates

How can I show the map? or make it possible for my coordinators to search the location

This is how it’s displayed in phones

This is how it’s displayed in computers:

Hi I have a similar problem when I go to “buscar ubicacion/find location” the phone (working with android) stay trying to find satellites and it didn display any option to do it manually or authomatic. just looking for satellite.
My ubication is “on” and my maps app works fine
Thanks

Hi,

Kindly confirm what exactly is the process that they are using to check. I suspect that when the coordinators open the form, they are actually prompting an edit of the form which would direct them to pick the GPS coordinate of their current location.

Stephane

Hi,

Could you please confirm

1. Which application on android you are using?
  2. On permissions settings, the application is actually given rights to access location
  3. Has it ever worked before and if the problem is recent when did it start?
  4. If the application is KoBoCollect, could you try using ODK Collect and indicate if this solves your problems

Stephane

Hi @analucia_espinoza,

looks like you`re using Enketo. If yes, you need to change the appearance of your map-widget to

maps and hide-input

If this option is not set, mobile browsers will not show a map to pinpoint a place.

Regards,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi Stephane! I have solve it!

1. Which application on android you are using?
    I installed ActiveGPS for andorid, then I let it running and open the New From in KoboCollect, this worked OK
    Thanks a lot
    Ximena
2 Likes

Hello @DSimon Yes! We’re using Enketo, where do I change the appearance of my map-widget? Appearance in Xls-form? Or where? Is this going to make disappear the option to automatically get the coordinates? Can’t I get both as I get in my computer?

When they have an activity and they don’t start to fill the form in the field, the only way of getting the gps point in their current location is to write an address an move to where the activity was, when they’re doing that from their phone, they can only select the :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: and that gets the current location, they don’t get the map to find a location, and that’s what I need, to get both :grinning:

Yes, just paste

maps and hide-input

in the appearance-column of the geo-question in your XLSForm. Then redeploy the form and reload it on client devices.

If you create your forms with Kobo-Formbuilder, paste the snippet in the corresponding appearance-field in the options menu of your geo-question.

1 Like

Hi @analucia_espinoza,

Backing up with what @DSimon has said, you could also do the same using placement-map. Placement-map allows user to point at a location on a map to record the GPS coordinates.

If you are doing the same in KoBoToolbox UI, you could do it as shown in the image below:

If you are doing the same in xlsform, you could do it as shown in the image below:
Image 2

After making these changes in your survey project (either through KoBoToolbox UI or xlsform) you should be able to see as follows in your device while using Enketo:

Portrait setting of your mobile device (in Enketo):

Landscape setting of your mobile device (in Enketo):

You could now press the Map to search the location you wish to capture the GPS coordinates of. Doing so, you will be able to see a map being loaded in your form (Enketo) as shown in the image below:

Select the location from the map and then press the back arrow key to return back to the form as shown in the image above. You should now be able to see the coordinates being captured for your survey form based on the location of the map.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I get this right: You want to store two locations (location of activity and current location, where the form is filled) within a single geopoint-question?

If yes: that’s not possible. A geo-widget can only store one object a time. So you would need to create two geo-questions. One to pinpoint location of action (appearance = maps and hide-input) and another one to record current location via GPS (no appearance options needed).

Regards,
Daniel

2 Likes

Thank you @DSimon! No, I only need to store the location of the activity, but I have two different possible scenarios, either my coordinator fills the form at the activity’s location in which they can just pinpoint the actual location or they fill it in their house so they will have to look for the location in their phones with the map,
I need the phone to have the possibility to have both so they can either look for the location or make the GPS use their current location.
I’m going to try with your solution, and I’ll let you know

1 Like