Cheap phones question

I purchased my android phone thru Amazon.com- paid $80

How this helps,

Jen

Inexpensive Android phones are available that have no trouble running KoBo and collecting data. We have tested very reliable $80 like the Huwei Ideos. If you are looking for an inexpensive device to use for data collection, there is no reason not to consider these.

Some notes when buying them:

1. Check the phone’s Specs. Make sure it is an Android phone and runs some version of Android greater than 1.6.

2. If you are going to be collecting GPS locations in your surveys, be sure that the phone has GPS. Few smartphones are sold without GPS, but you have to check.

3. Check to see if the SDcard is included. Sometimes, to keep the price low, very inexpensive phones are sold without an SDcard. If this is the case, just buy an SDcard along with your phone, they are very inexpensive and any micro SDcard will do. Again, check the phone’s specs to see what kind of SDcard it takes. Almost always, this is Micro-SD.

~Neil Hendrick

KoBo Developer

···

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM, custom gifts by j. c. hale cgsbyjch...@gmail.com wrote:

How this helps,

Jen

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

Hi Neil, thanks for this info on Android phones. Now, I was sourcing for an Android phone to run some survey in Kenya and have settled for Google Nexus. However, I noted it has inbuilt SD Card, could it be ideal for running KoBo of ODK?

Please, advice.

Collins

···

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Neil Hendrick Neil.H...@kobotoolbox.org wrote:

Inexpensive Android phones are available that have no trouble running KoBo and collecting data. We have tested very reliable $80 like the Huwei Ideos. If you are looking for an inexpensive device to use for data collection, there is no reason not to consider these.

1. Check the phone’s Specs. Make sure it is an Android phone and runs some version of Android greater than 1.6.
  1. If you are going to be collecting GPS locations in your surveys, be sure that the phone has GPS. Few smartphones are sold without GPS, but you have to check.
  1. Check to see if the SDcard is included. Sometimes, to keep the price low, very inexpensive phones are sold without an SDcard. If this is the case, just buy an SDcard along with your phone, they are very inexpensive and any micro SDcard will do. Again, check the phone’s specs to see what kind of SDcard it takes. Almost always, this is Micro-SD.

~Neil Hendrick

KoBo Developer

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM, custom gifts by j. c. hale cgsbyjch...@gmail.com wrote:

How this helps,

Jen

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

You’ll run just fine on the Nexus.
~Neil

···

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Collins O. Adoyo collin...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Neil, thanks for this info on Android phones. Now, I was sourcing for an Android phone to run some survey in Kenya and have settled for Google Nexus. However, I noted it has inbuilt SD Card, could it be ideal for running KoBo of ODK?

Please, advice.

Collins

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Neil Hendrick Neil.H...@kobotoolbox.org wrote:

1. If you are going to be collecting GPS locations in your surveys, be sure that the phone has GPS. Few smartphones are sold without GPS, but you have to check.
  1. Check to see if the SDcard is included. Sometimes, to keep the price low, very inexpensive phones are sold without an SDcard. If this is the case, just buy an SDcard along with your phone, they are very inexpensive and any micro SDcard will do. Again, check the phone’s specs to see what kind of SDcard it takes. Almost always, this is Micro-SD.

~Neil Hendrick

KoBo Developer

How this helps,

Jen