Data export issue (expert failed)

I am having issues exporting data from a form. The export seems to process for much longer than normal and then appear as having failed. Is there any way to troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you!

Welcome to the community @awol! This is an issue you see when you do the following …

• Deploy your survey project.
  • Data collection on.
  • Make some corrections in the survey project (change the variable name of the existing variable).
  • Redeploy.
  • Data collection on.
  • Try to download your data. You will see Export Failed.

Solution:

• Identify the changes you made.
  • Change the variable name back to it’s original name. You could do this by downloading all the possible redeployed form versions as outlined in the support article Recovering Data From Previous Form Versions and making a comparison of the variable names.
  • Redeploy.

Note: Please be cautious while doing this. Make sure you do this first on a dummy project and see if you are able to successfully fix the issue. Else, if you try to fix it directly in your main project you should be doing bad instead of trying to fix it.

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam,

When you mention variable names for existing variables, do you mean the “name” column in the “choices sheet” of the Excel version of the tool? If so, since the survey has been deployed with the new variable names (with no deployment issues), how can the data since the deployment with new variable names be analyzed? I am wondering if after the revisions the data entered will be recoded to the previous variable names or if the data collected in the time period with the download error will carry the new variable names.

Thanks,

Blake

It’s name column from the survey sheet of your xlsform.

Thanks @Kal_Lam. We didn’t make any changes to the survey sheet of the form, only to the choices sheet. Would anything there cause issues with downloads?

If this is the case, would you mind sharing with me your username and the project name through a private message as outlined in the post discussed previously:

Didn’t see an issue while downloading your data from the project name you shared. It definitely took some time as there were around 99,000 submissions in it.

FYI,

Hi @Kal_Lam,

So it sounds like the delay is due to the amount of data and unrelated to any issue with the survey itself. That’s good to know!

@awol Does this resolve our issue ?

1 Like

Also please kindly ensure the speed of your internet. This should also be a factor that could affect at your end.

1 Like

Thanks to you both. I was able to download the data so we should be all set. Earlier in the week I was having issues related to download which seem to have resolved on their own it seems.

2 Likes

Dear Kal,

I have update one of the repeated question column name and deployed the form . . . but after i deployed the form when i try to download the data is says export failed and the server i’m using is HHI . . . .can you help me please

Dear @fitsumy
Welcome to the community forum. Could you please share a screenshot of the error message? Also, try running your console (Ctrl+Shif+J) and screenshot so that we see what happens when you try downloading.

Stephane

1 Like

Dear @stephanealoo
Thank your for your quick replay, for your information this error has come after i update the some column name from repeated question

Hi @fitsumy
Could you try other download options such as XLS legacy and confirm if this works for you.

Stephane

1 Like

Thank U!, It download with group names and headers, can we download the document with column name only