Data export with the Column headers, but Labels for select type questions

Hi the community,

I hope you are well.

I want to know if it is possible to export my data with the Column Headers (not the column labels), but still keeping the XML values for the responses of select type questions (case of “Select One” and “Select Many”).

In fact, I am using the synchronous export feature (with XML Values and Headers as export option) to connect directly my data to Power BI and Report Builder for the analysis. But the limitation I am having now is that I could not get the labels of the single or multiple choice questions exactly like the labels implemented in KoboToolbox to print them in my reports, whatever the data transformation I have performed (e.g. removing Underscore by space and putting capital letter at the begining of each word). Some of my choice lists contain a long text with acronyms in brackets and it was not possible to put all that in the XLM value (name) of my XLSForm.

I know that it is possible to achieve the task manually by setting two different export options (Labels and XML values & headers), exporting the data and remplacing the desired columns in the XML values file by the corresponding columns in the labels file. However, since I am using the synchronous export, this will export only one of the export settings (the recent one) and I can not get dynamically what I want .

Using the Labels option and renaming all the Data Column Names to a short format is another alternative, but I don’t think I have to do so since I have many tables to handle.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Kind regards

@sodeidelphonse, so you mean you wish to have your data column header in XML values while the values are in labels while exporting your data?

Yes @Kal_Lam. That is what I wish to have.

Thanks !

1 Like

@sodeidelphonse, this is not possible within the system at the moment. Hence I have changed your post to a suggestion box. Feel free to VOTE for it to make this a reality.

If you have the budget for this (features request), contact us. A lot of our KoboToolbox users should be able to benefit from this feature.

Hi @Kal_Lam

Thank for changing my post to a suggestion box. I will make my VOTE.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi @sodeidelphonse and @Kal_Lam,

I think, my (old) PR in FormPack could be the (part of) solution : add lang_header arg for specify language header values by jdugh · Pull Request #215 · kobotoolbox/formpack · GitHub

I have adding and header_lang parameter for specify the language of header; separately of data with lang parameter.
So, the header can be the XML values and data the label.

it’s been a long time since I’ve heard from this Pull Request, and there is a stale labels but I don’t know why.

EDIT :
And if this PR is merged, I will update this another PR in KPI : add lang_header parameter for specify language header values in export by jdugh · Pull Request #2643 · kobotoolbox/kpi · GitHub

This PR is link to the first one, she allows to add the header_lang parameter to the KPI API !

1 Like