Does Encryption Feature Work? Data does not appear encrypted on kobotoolbox.org

I created a simple form with 1 question - language that accepted a text field. I downloaded the form as advised in the encryption directions from April 24, 2015. I created both public and private keys as directed.
In settings, I added two additional columns, namely: ‘submission_url’ (is your submission url), and ‘public_key’ (is the base64RsaPublicKey). For some reason, the instructions show a third field id_string. I omitted it as it was not in the screen shot provided.
I then uploaded the form and deployed it. The form displays as Encrypted. I downloaded the form to Android. I filled in the data and submitted the form. No problem.
When I view the data on the kobotoolbox.org server, I expected the language field to be encrypted. It was not encrypted.Does this feature really work?

Update: I used another droid phone and the data comes up encrypted - can’t see anything. The initial phone I used had Droid 5.1. Is there something in the specs that force us to use a certain release?
Thanks,Tom

···

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 4:05:43 PM UTC-7, Tom Snyder wrote:

I created a simple form with 1 question - language that accepted a text field. I downloaded the form as advised in the encryption directions from April 24, 2015. I created both public and private keys as directed.
In settings, I added two additional columns, namely: ‘submission_url’ (is your submission url), and ‘public_key’ (is the base64RsaPublicKey). For some reason, the instructions show a third field id_string. I omitted it as it was not in the screen shot provided.
I then uploaded the form and deployed it. The form displays as Encrypted. I downloaded the form to Android. I filled in the data and submitted the form. No problem.
When I view the data on the kobotoolbox.org server, I expected the language field to be encrypted. It was not encrypted.Does this feature really work?

Thanks for the updates Tom – we are looking into this, but all a bit swamped. Encryption is an important feature and we will make sure we explore why it may not work under some conditions.

Best,

Patrick

···

Update: I used another droid phone and the data comes up encrypted - can’t see anything. The initial phone I used had Droid 5.1. Is there something in the specs that force us to use a certain release?

Thanks,Tom

When I view the data on the
kobotoolbox.org
server, I expected the language field to be encrypted. It was not encrypted.Does this feature really work?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsu...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to
kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Hi Tom,

I’m reposting what I wrote in response to your Q&A question: Encryption is fickle and requires everything to be perfect along all steps. Most likely it’s an issue with your public key not being formatted correctly (line break or space; or not created through OpenSSL (not all key pairs are accepted by Collect). The online portal shows that a form is encrypted as soon as a public key is included, even if one of these mistakes were made with the key, which effectively prevents Collect from actually encrypting the data.

Please confirm that your key was created with OpenSSL and that the submission_url and public_key fields are formatted correctly. If you can’t find any issues with any of these, please send us your XLS form file as an attachment so we can help you further.

Best,

Tino

···

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Vinck, Patrick pvi...@hsph.harvard.edu wrote:

Thanks for the updates Tom – we are looking into this, but all a bit swamped. Encryption is an important feature and we will make sure we explore why it may not work under some conditions.

Best,

Patrick

From: kobo-...@googlegroups.com [mailto:kobo-...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom Snyder

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:22 PM

To: Kobo Users kobo-...@googlegroups.com

Subject: [KoBo Users] Re: Does Encryption Feature Work? Data does not appear encrypted on kobotoolbox.org

Thanks,Tom

When I view the data on the
kobotoolbox.org
server, I expected the language field to be encrypted. It was not encrypted.Does this feature really work?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to
kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.