Downloading media files in survey

Hi,

I am trying to see the pictures taken in each survey and I am using the following hyperlink in my Excel file:

=HYPERLINK("https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/attachment/original?media_file=username/attachments/"&A2)

I have modified the formula with my username and correct Excel cell name and I am currently logged in to my Kobo toolbox account.

I am getting two errors:

1. formula error: should be /"&A2"
  2. unable to open. internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404)

Does anyone have any idea what am I doing wrong here?

Hi @mahrukhkhan,

Were you able to download your images before using the same method that you stated over the post?

Alternatively, there is a way of downloading photos and other media as mentioned in the support article here.

Hi,

Yes, I downloaded all. Should I save them in the same folder where I have the data?

And yes, I have read this article.

1 Like

Hi @mahrukhkhan,

You could save the data in a folder convenient to you (which you should find easily accessible when required).

GOOD DAY!

Alright. But any idea why the hyperlink in my Excel sheet is not working?

Hi
We are currently checking to see what exactly is causing the issue and we should get back to you later

Regards
Stephane

Hi @mahrukhkhan

Welcome to the community! If you have gone through the support article Downloading Photos and Other Media intending to Adding Direct Hyperlinks to Collected Media in Excel, did you follow follow the step 1 to 4 correctly. If yes, would you now try to share your data publicly as shown in the image below:

Now click the link that you prepared as described in the article (also as shown in the image below):

You should now be able to see the image when clicking the link that you prepared as instructed in the support article.

Please let us know if it now works for you. GOOD DAY!

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Thank you for getting back on this. I don’t think I should be sharing the data publicly. Is there any other way to do this?

Hi @mahrukhkhan,

Could you kindly confirm whether sharing data publicly functions the link to work as it should? You could un-share after confirming. We are still testing this out and would like to know whether it works at your end! GOOD DAY & THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi,

1. I downloaded all the media files.
  2. I added a new column right next to the images column in my Excel data sheet.
  3. I changed the username and cell number in the formula.
  4. I shared my data publicly.

I am still getting the same error as before.

Hi @mahrukhkhan,

Generally, after step 4 while clicking the hyperlink you should be directed to the photo. However could you kindly show us the screenshot of the error message that you are seeing?

Hi @mahrukhkhan,

This was a similar error message that i received initially while trying to open the photos through the link. I then tried opening the photos (using the link) by making my data public.

Would you mind trying it once. If it again fails at your end, would you mind sharing the excel file (simply with the name of the image), i would like to try it at my end too. But please ensure that your data are made public.

GOOD DAY!

I’m having the exact same challenge now. Was this resolved by any chance?

@arnold_njogu, have you gone through our support article? You should be able to download media via the link (if followed properly).

Yes, i’ve followed the steps. Perhaps the issue is that the data has not been shared publicly. I am confirming this now and will let you know of the results. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam . I have followed the instructions to the latter and confirmed that the data is shared publicly. However I still get an error message that “Attachment not found” on my browser. Kindly assist

@arnold_njogu, would you mind sharing with me the following (through a private message) so that we could have a closer look at it:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Also please share your xlsform that holds the hyperlink.

Dear @Kal_Lam , i downloaded my media file(pictures) and try to connect them by the Hyperlink, I am getting (HTTP/ 0.1 404) error.
I followd the steps as well:

1. I downloaded all the media files.
  2. I added a new column right next to the images column in my Excel data sheet.
  3. I changed the username and cell number in the formula.
  4. I shared my data publicly.[Education consortium iraq,Youth selection
    can you review my Excel sheet please !

Thank you.

form.xlsx|attachment](upload://b24OMkFHYkYioPiqsRYrvWgLus8.xlsx) (127.4 KB)

Welcome back to the community, @123456! We will have a closer look at this issue and see if there is any that is causing an issue.