Error: global name 'datetime' is not defined

Hi all,

We are about to launch a country-wide survey in South Sudan and are facing an issue uploading the final xls with all the translations (we are performing the survey in 7 different languages).

I have followed the instructions on how to input the translations, but unfortunately when I go to upload the xls file to the website it gives me this error message:

Error: global name ‘datetime’ is not defined

I tried to modify the survey and the xls form to see if I could fix this, but have not had any luck. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Happy to upload the xls if needed.

Warm regards,

Matthew (on behalf of the South Sudan Law Society)

Hi Mathew,

Will you please send the xls form?

Best and Regards

Ronald Munjoma

···

On 30 November 2014 at 10:31, ssls...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

We are about to launch a country-wide survey in South Sudan and are facing an issue uploading the final xls with all the translations (we are performing the survey in 7 different languages).

I have followed the instructions on how to input the translations, but unfortunately when I go to upload the xls file to the website it gives me this error message:

I tried to modify the survey and the xls form to see if I could fix this, but have not had any luck. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Best and Regards

Ronald Munjoma

+263 775 625 283, +263 776 444 309

Hi Matt,

I just sent you back the fixed form you emailed me privately.

The issue was the some of your options in the Arabic translation (choices sheet) had dates in them, which Excel saves in a peculiar way that causes issues when importing the form back into KoBo. To avoid this just enter these values as text. Because Excel likes to convert anything that looks like a date into dates, you can do one of the following:

• select the entire column and select Text as the cell format in Excel. Then re-enter the value (e.g. 12/1/2013)

• enter an apostrophe in front of the date (e.g. '12/1/2013) which Excel recognizes then as text.

In your form I think there may be an issue with the translation as well, as the English is ‘December 2013 - present’, while the Arabic just stored ‘12/1/2013’. There are seven response options where this was the case.

To be sure, this has nothing to do with the datetime question type. We will fix this issue to give a more informative error or, better yet, allow importing select options even if they contain dates rather than text.

This will not work:

This will work:

Good luck with everything in Juba,

Tino

···

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM, ssls...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

Warm regards,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Tino Kreutzer

Program Manager KoBoToolbox

Tel +1 617 372 7051 | Skype tinokreutzer
tino.k...@kobotoolbox.org