Error Message in Enketo: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

HI @Kal_Lam and all - I wonder if anyone can help. I have been trying for many hours to overcome a similar issue, as here:

My xlsform is here:
Kixicrédito_CX_questionário entrevista-IFC_v0.4.xlsx (111.6 KB)

I have painstakingly tried to isolate the issue by splitting the form into two forms, block by block. Eventually I got to the point of having two separate forms. Each loads by itself (so I still can’t isolate a specific issue) but, when joined in the form above, it will not load. The isolated forms are below:
Kixicrédito_CX_questionário entrevista-IFC_v0.4_main form.xlsx (84.0 KB)
Kixicrédito_CX_questionário entrevista-IFC_v0.4_isolated blocks.xlsx (72.3 KB)

I can’t figure out what I’m missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE

I just tried again because of the inconsistent results and now couldn’t upload one of the isolated forms which worked a little while ago. I am using https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/.

Meanwhile, I can upload both the isolated forms at https://getodk.org/xlsform/ but get a different loading error with the combined form…

@jcastello, when looking at your XLSForm I see 774 lines of question under the survey tab and another 708 lines of choices under the choices tab. This seems to be a large survey. Maybe you will need to split your survey forms into 2 or even 3 or even more to make it smaller. As an advise, you could also use external CSV files to handle your long list of choices. Maybe that could too help you getting rid of the loading error that you have been getting.

Thanks @Kal_Lam. So, do you think the issue is simply the size of the form? I considered using a dynamically generated repeat group (rather than having so many questions) - but given the potential volume of responses, I wanted to avoid having each set of answers to the repeat question creating a new data table. Is there any way to have repeat answers captured within the main table of results?

I will also try your suggestion of using external CSV files to handle the questions, though I haven’t done that before. Could you kindly share a link to a guide for that?

Sorry did not understand this. Could you be able to visualize it pictorially? Maybe that would help the community to understand your issue more clearly.

You could have a look at this support article Select One or Many From External File Question Type. It should help you understand using the external CSV file.

Hi @Kal_Lam, thanks again for getting back to me.

Repeat group

I wanted to present a set of conditional questions for each one of the 38 select_multiple products options that a respondent might pick. Rather than repeat the set 38 times with relevant conditions, I initially created a repeat group to dynamically generate the conditional questions. However I then remembered that the answers to every set of repeat questions create a new data table, rather than being aggregated in the principle data table, which makes aggregate analysis tricky. So I was wondering if there is any way to make the answers to repeat groups appear in the principal data table? Please see my repeat group below:

Resolution

In the meantime, to get around the loading issue I’ve compromised by redesigning the survey to reduce the number of select_multiple / conditional question combinations. I won’t be able to collect as many data as I’d hoped initially, but it works!

1 Like

Best way to connect tables using Power Query-merge option

1 Like

@jcastello, this is the article which @MohammedTaleb has advised:

Hi @MohammedTaleb and @Kal_Lam,

Apologies for the late response. However, thank you for the suggestions. For this inquiry I have settled on a smaller number of questions with fewer branching options, however I will definitely use your suggestions next time to complement the use of repeat groups.

2 Likes