Error message seen while editing a completed form in Collect android app

https://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info/#/forms/asTCWAkop6YKqkovPJkKRi/landing

Hello everyone, I have a challenge after complete on Kobo Collect when try to Edit save form. It appeared the message: the appearance column of the field fish_gears contains a search() call and the field type is 8 and the save answer is 35 4 10

fish_gear is field name i make select_multiple and given name in search() function.

I can submit case to server without problem but it was error when try to edit save form

Welcome to the community, @dcresearchco! Do you mean you get an error message when editing a completed form in Collect android app?

Yes, i have try to work chanage on appearance such autocomplete, search etc but still error

Would you mind validating your xlsform through this online validator? It should help you identify the syntax errors that is present within your xlsform. If you are still not able to solve your issue, please feel free to share your xlsform with the community. The community should be able to help you solve your issue.

Form01_LandingSite.xlsx (109.5 KB)

Yes, I always validate with and there is no problem detected.

@dcresearchco, I found an issue in your xlsform:

Under the survey tab: a space in between label:: English

the same one under the survey tab …

Under the choices tab: a space in between label:: English

Image 2

Which I corrected as:

Under the survey tab: a space in between label::English

Under the choices tab: a space in between label::English

Image 4

Reference xlsform:

Form01_LandingSite.xlsx (108.5 KB)

Note: Besides, I also see a long list of choices under the choices tab. It is generally recommended to use an external choice in such a case. Using an external choice would improve the performance of your data collection.

Hello,
The msg refers to the (partly) missing language code. The syntax is columnName::Language (code), e.g label::Khmer (km)
See https://support.kobotoolbox.org/language_xls.html?highlight=multiple%20language

1 Like

Thanks so much, appreciated. Well done

1 Like

this is great advice, thanks so much

1 Like

Dear Kal_Larm, thanks for feedbacks, i am try to make it short files just only that question error. I am still get same meesage error after i finish fill in form on Kobo Collect and get it to edit. Any other advise? I also attached both files xlsform. There is no problem for submission data. It is only appears when I want to edit data.
‘the appearance column of the field fish_gears contains a search() call and the field type is 8 and the save answer is 7 4’

Test_Search_Form01_LandingSite.xlsx (21.2 KB)

Testing_F01_Land_site_survey_-latest_version-False-_2021-03-16-09-25-13.xlsx|attachment (9.0 KB)

i am tryingError_search_fish_gears2 to make language code but still remaining error when try to edit, any more advice?

I am trying to test several times and change ways to fill in the form, they have only problem when get to edit in KoBo Collect and for other functions such as submission it was well as normal. I assume that problem was related to function search() itself. when I fill that question only one (not multiple), i can view edit it without error. So, it is a bug that functions?

Yes, it is the search function that is causing you the issue. With your previous function you will try to use an external csv file. A detailed workaround of the same can be seen in a previous post (here you will see the values being pulled from a csv values using the search function):

As a work around maybe you could re-design your xlsform as shared below. This should solve your issue. Note, using the approach shared below, you will not need to use the external csv file as the choices are already laid in the choices sheet.

Edited xlsform

Test_Search_Form01_LandingSite (1).xlsx (21.1 KB)