Feature request - print/review questionnaire

Hi Kobo devs (if you follow this group),
Can I suggest/request an enhancement to the ‘print questionnaire’ function?

It would be very helpful for reviewers of questionnaires to be able to generate a printout version of a questionnaire that incorporated the ‘name’ values for both question and response options, as well as the labels (text). For example, as well the format currently generated in Enketo:

What is your gender?
Male
Female
Other

it would be good to have an option to generate something like

q01 - What is your gender?
1 - Male
2 - Female
3 - Other

and potentially even print the constraint and relevant associated with each question.

I know that it’s possible to generate this by concatenating ‘name’ values into the label text in the XLSForm, but it’s very cumbersome, and creates version control issues as this is not the version most people would choose to deploy for their survey.

Suspect this won’t be easy but putting it out there in case it turns out to be simple and someone has time to do it.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I think a pretty easy way to do this would be to add a new “language” to your survey that was something like “English_Labels”

Then, as you mention, it would be really easy to just concatenate the “name” and the “English” label field into your new language column.

Jonathan

···

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:56:52 PM UTC-5, matt...@gmail.com wrote:

It would be very helpful for reviewers of questionnaires to be able to generate a printout version of a questionnaire that incorporated the ‘name’ values for both question and response options, as well as the labels (text). For example, as well the format currently generated in Enketo:

What is your gender?
Male
Female
Other

1 - Male
2 - Female
3 - Other

and potentially even print the constraint and relevant associated with each question.

I know that it’s possible to generate this by concatenating ‘name’ values into the label text in the XLSForm, but it’s very cumbersome, and creates version control issues as this is not the version most people would choose to deploy for their survey.

Suspect this won’t be easy but putting it out there in case it turns out to be simple and someone has time to do it.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Jonathan,
That’s the solution I’ve been using myself - but it’s not very user-friendly for someone who doesn’t want to get into the XML. Like many of my colleagues in partner organisations, I suspect there are quite a few potential users somewhat wary of transitioning to a digital survey platform. For many of these, the current inability to easily produce a questionnaire file with the readability and functions of a traditional paper questionnaire (ie with question numbers and response codes included) for testing and revision with stakeholders or in the field, has proven to be a bit of a dealbreaker. The question design interface of Kobo is very user-friendly, which is a major reason it has been so popular, and I think this print feature (say, as an option under ‘print survey form’) would greatly enhance its usability at the testing/piloting stage, particularly as many users (to judge by this forum) aren’t confident to delve too deep into the XML.

For researchers like myself, this would also function as a much more accessible codebook reference than referring to the XML, as well as being something that could without editing (except perhaps adding in skip logic) be added as an appendix to a publication, or included in an ethics application.

Otherwise, both types of users will probably persist in designing the questionnaire in a word processor or in hardcopy, before entering into Kobo, so they can easily mark up drafts during piloting and translation, and have a useful document version for publication - which seems much less efficient than using a single platform for the whole process.

Cheers,

Matt

···

On Thursday, 2 February 2017 02:07:58 UTC+11, jos…@mail.harvard.edu wrote:

Hi Matt,

I think a pretty easy way to do this would be to add a new “language” to your survey that was something like “English_Labels”

Then, as you mention, it would be really easy to just concatenate the “name” and the “English” label field into your new language column.

Jonathan

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:56:52 PM UTC-5, matt...@gmail.com wrote:

What is your gender?
Male
Female
Other

1 - Male
2 - Female
3 - Other

Cheers,

Matt