Flagging or automatically correcting inconsistent responses

Dear friends,
I have tried searching an answer to my issue but couldn’t find one from those already existing.

I have two questions

1. In which year were you born?
  2. How old were you at your first birthday?

I want to set the validation criteria such that;

• In Question 1, the system does not accept answers beyond the year 2004. And so does not allow the interviewer to proceed to the next question.
  • In Question 2, if the respondent says 22 years in 2018 (assuming it was the last birthday he remembers) and yet in Question 1 he said was born in 2000, the system detects this inconsistency, flags it OR the system detects it and adjusts the answer in Question 1 to 1996.

Thank you

Hi @vincentkayemba,

1- You need to put a constraint:

.<=date(‘2004-01-01’)

This will let the system doesn’t allow answers beyond the year 2004. You can find more info in this forum post:

2- I think the question is not right in here? Can you try to explain this?

1 Like

The question “How old were you at your last birthday” means how old was the respondent as of December 2021 assuming their birth month is December OR how old was the respondent as of June 2022 assuming their birth month is June?

Has been discussed in several previous postings, which can be found with the search function of this forum, please, see Search results for 'calculate age from birth year' - KoboToolbox Community Forum

@vincentkayemba, in addition to what @hakan_cetinkaya has advised, you should also be able to solve your issue by going through this post discussed previously: