GPS - data recieved looks way off

Hi

I am assisting an NGO collecting feild data with the Kobo Collect app. They sent me the data in a spreadsheet format. The attributes of the survey look fine. the GPS data looks like garbage - out by factors ranging from 10 to the power 13 to 11. It looks like the data was manipulated ina spreadsheet.

1. is the GPS location data stored somewhere and is it retrievable? As i understand samsung tablets were used.

2. for the data capturing to proceed a datum must have been specified - I am guessing / or is this automatically detected by the device?

3. If i received rubbish coordinate data, how can one backtrack for me to receive sensible data so i can help the people i am assisting?

thanks
Uma

• I am new to kobo collect. I am bringing in the NGO’s data into arcview.

@giscapetown, request for access to kobotoolbox account created for the data collection and extract the data yourself. It could be a conversion done by excel version.

1 Like

Hi @giscapetown,

Welcome to the community! As suggested by @reverton, you could have a look at the data in KoBoToolbox (Account: Data). But the data in the server might have been changed (cleaned). To overcome this, you could also have a look at the KoBoCollect (android mobile app). The sent data is generally stored in View Sent Form. The data seen in View Sent Form is generally the primary data which has been sent to the server (which is usually not changed, unless and until it has been edited in the Edit Saved Form before sending the Finalized Forms.

thanks - i am green to kobo tool can i install it on a pc? it will make things much easier. I will also request access to the account as suggested. thanks Uma

i just requested the tool box account link

Thanks Kal and Reverton.
i will see if the NGO can provide the db link requested. I suspect it is an excell version issue. Perhaps one can get the data exported as an ascii / txt file?

also - the survey started around end of may 2019 - so I would guess would still be on the server? how frequently is the data dumped/ removed?

when the person in the field collects the data do they have to specify any datum info or is it automatically captured in the correct datum etc? ie is it impossible to capture incorrect data?

thanks
Uma

1 Like

@giscapetown, was the server hosted locally or it’s kobotool cloud server? Do you have information about the collect they used? Kobocollect, odkcollect etc? Have you been able to login with the account credentials given to you?

1 Like

Hi
Regardless of the hosting server, I would suggest the following methodological steps

1. Get to know which server was used from the NGO
  2. Ask the NGO to give you access to the server
  3. Follow the following simple (do it yourself) procedures to get your data from the server and test various formats.

The data should be sitting within the servers, unless the NGO deleted the projects; which I highly doubt.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Thanks Stephane, will try, waiting for feedback from the NGO
best
Uma

1 Like

I was informed Kobo was being used to capture all the data, but have just been told:

“The coordinates that are on the excel document were taken using the Handsets not Kobo on this areas as we had challenges with Kobo.”

1 Like

Now we know where the issue came from. Can you share a sample of the file. Maybe the app they used converted the file.

1 Like

Hi Reverton,
this is what i was sent. - see below

I just received the ngo’s username is and the password for the Kobo APP,
I made an account for giscapetown on kobotoolbox on my pc. Is there a way i can access the Kobo app data from my pc? I have several pcs in my office - should i just access kobotoolbox webpage from a different pc and when it promept login just type in details? I wiIll try it out thanks
thanks

image Latitude Longitude

329182 180208
Marikana Marikana
329182 180209
329179 180198
32918056 18021944
32924446 18020667
32918056 18021944
329117778 18022223
32917778 18020000
3291777 18021667
-3291694259643550 18022499084472600
-329177780151367 -1802055549621580
-3291694259643550 -18022499084472600
-3291777801513670 -1802055549621580
3291777801513670 -18020555496215

Most likely the data was exported from a csv file and they didn’t open it correctly. Please request for original csv file from them and check against this file for variations.

1 Like

Hi Reverton, thanks have asked for it, best Uma

1 Like

Hi
Hope this was solved. The data was definately jumbled when someone was converting from CSV. This has to do with the delimiters used to define each data column. Kindly do this afresh and use multiple options to open the CSV or export it.

On the issue of accessing from different PCs, yes you should use the username and password and you can access from any PC.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Hi Stephane,
I am meeting with the people on monday to test the app and unit in town. Does the humanitarian toolbox app capture gps in the field if there is no internet in the informal settlement area?

I downloaded the kml data and the points plot in the setttlement, but are off shacks - sometimes in the dirt roads. The person capturing the data said it was sometimes off by 10m and that is why they resorted to using a unit and typing in the data by hand.

I will have a better idea once i see them, but basically can the humanitarian tool capture gps t0 0.3 m if not connected to wifi/ internet? I know it uses satellites for positioning, but does it require cell phone signal or internet for reliable accuracy better than 1m?

thanks
Uma

1 Like

Hi Uma

Blockquote

No you do not require the cell phone signal to collect GPS coordinates.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Hi Stephane, ok that is great, but what about internet connectivity - do you need that to use the humanitarian toolbox login to get a gps better better than 1 m?

thanks
Uma

1 Like