If you use more than one language. Hint in Formbuilder has a bug.
Steps to Reproduce
- Create a form with more than one language
- Create a (text) variable and add a hint (not guidance_hint)
Or import this example: Hint02.xlsx (9.4 KB)
3 View form (in default or 2nd language) : NO hint shown
4. View translation table (Manage translations): a new undefined language is added
5 Edit the translations: Your hint text is NOT show (nowhere)
6. Save form
7. Try to re-edit form. Blocked with ERROR
8. Download XLS and inspect: 3 hint columns(!), the one without ::language has your hint text. Also further language columns, with empty cells, e.g. question label and choice label)
Hint text should be saved with default ::language, be shown and allow translation (as guidance_hint).
No additional empty language should be created.
See above and screenshots and XLS download below
KoBo unfortunately treats this Hint as new language (undefined). In consequence:
- Enketo doesn’t show the Hint text
- creates a further (undefined) translation, but doesn’t show the Hint text there in any language
- will download XLS with 3 columns for hint (and even other items, like question and choice label)
Hint02 XLSDownlaod.xlsx (10.7 KB)
After adding a hint and saving, this form is working (and can be deployed) but cannot be edited anymore!
Workaround: The only possibility is now to download as XLSForm, delete the (default language) column, rename the false hint column, which contains your hint text(!) from Formbuilder, to hint::language (default language) and re-import the form. (Better, also delete other created columns for the empty language (but as far as all cells stay empty, it will still work)
From now on Formbuilder and translation table will work well.
This hint Problem stays the same, after adding a guidance_hint. Guidance_hint works better, but cannot be translated directly in Formbuilder (see extra topic).