How do i display other in a choice filter?

Could you help me please how to display other if i have choice_filter.

Hi @Ah_ly,

Could you please explain a bit more on this (if possible with a suitable example) so that we understand and help you solve your issue.

Have a great day!

For example :slight_smile:
Q1: Operational District? Answer: 1: A 2: B 3: C
Q2: Village?
I have a choice filter in Q1 if I select answer 1: A so question 2 (village) just display only name of the village that have in Operational district A but if the sample in the viilage that we selected doesn’t have enough we need to add other how can we add other in Q2?

Hi @Ah_ly,

You could do the same as outlined in the image below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

In the choices tab of your xlsform:

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
Cascading Select (with Other).xlsx (12.2 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks you it work now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This solution helped me previously, but when I had a case with so many more districts, it was so effortful to create so many "other"s.
However, I’ve just stumbled upon another method that works great:
in the choices page, I create one “other” choice in the Q2 list, but with the Village field set to a concatenation of all the names of the Districts (i.e. 12345, or 1_2_3_4_5)
in the Survey sheet, instead of village=${Q1} in the choice_filter, I used contains(village,${Q1}).
By this condition, the choice “other” shows up no matter which District is chosen.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @nartabaza.
I would recommend not to use: , or spaces when joining the other choice names, as this might create problems on csv export and external tools, e.g. SPSS. Maybe underlines are preferable.

1 Like

thanks @wroos , I edited my suggestion accordingly.

2 Likes