How to add skip logic in a matrix question through the form builder UI?

Hi I am sorry to bother you, I am starting to use Kobotoolbox and I am in the middle of understanding how to use the online formbuilder. I will later go to xls, but I like to take things slowly :slight_smile:

I’d like to add “advanced skip logic” to a matrix question:

Which languages can you understand?
English - a) no knowledge b) basic knowledge c) proficent
Spanish - a) no knowledge b) basic knowledge c) proficent
Other Language - a) no knowledge b) basic knowledge c) proficent

a = 0 ; b = 1; c=2 (these are the values of each option)

I’d like that IF someone selects c in the third row (Other Language) another open question appears to ask the user which is the other language he/she understands.

So I added the bonus question and went to its SKIP LOGIC panel.

I’ve found that I should use custom xslform skip logic, I’ve found this

from which I think I understood that I should use something like

relevant=“not(selected(/data/q3, ‘0’))”

My understanding is “this question should be relevant only if in the previous group of questions the user does not select value c (0) on the third question of the group (no knowledge of another language)”

How should I write this “relevant” bit?
How do I get the “id” of a question? and inside a group of questions?

Thank you, I hope my question makes some sense :smiley:

Welcome to the community, @pieip! Kindly please be informed that adding a skip logic to a matrix question through the form builder (directly) is impossible. However, if you do the following, it is possible:

• Build a matrix question in a form builder UI
  • Till now, you will be able to see the matrix question as shown in the image below (and will not be able to add skip logic):
  • Save it and export it as an xlsform.
  • Don’t make any changes to your xlsform. Upload it back to the survey project and then deploy/redeploy (if already deployed). You should now be able to see the matrix question as shown in the image below (and will now be able to add skip logic):

Note: You could always add skip logic to your matrix question through the xlsform (after downloading it). You could also follow our support article Adding Skip Logic to understand more about skip logic. Please feel free to browse our community for a post discussed previously on skipping.

1 Like