How to quote selected option in another question

Hi fam!
I am currently working on a project that require a bit of tweak and i need to know how achieve it.
For example.
Question 1: What fruit did you eat today.
Ans: multi-select options (Orange, apple, watermelon, Guava, Pineapple). Please note that there are 5 options.

Question 2: Do you pay this seller at the moment of purchase? Product 1, product 2 product 3 … product 5

Question 2, enumerators or respondent do not have to pick the options, i need question 2 to remember the options picked in the answer for question 1.

Please if you have a solution that can help, kindly advice.

thanks

This entirely depends on the behaviour you want and I will explain the two approaches here.

1. If you simply need this question asked for each and every product, then you need not to reference the choices (fruits) from the multiple select question. Instead you should create a question for every fruit and then put a skip logic that only shows the questions for the selected fruit. See screenshot below.

1. However if you need to have the mentioned fruits appear in one question only then you need to use question referencing by placing the question name within the &{placequestionnamehere} and you will see the behaviour shown below

I have attached the XLS that I used to run your example.

ReferencingMultipleSelectinSubsequentQuestion.xls (9.5 KB)

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, and i am sorry i am just making a comment here. i made a major trip to a rural field,

I appreciate your response. But that doesn’t quite solve the problem i have. maybe i should re-frame

. Question 1: What fruit did you eat today.
Ans: multi-select options (Orange, apple, watermelon, Guava, Pineapple, lemon, tangerine, carrot, spinach, okro, melon,). Please note that the respondent can only think a maximum of 5 products.

Question 2: Do you pay this seller at the moment of purchase? Product 1, (options: Yes/No)
product 2 (options: Yes/No) product 3 (options: Yes/No) … product 5

If the questions like question2 continue throughout the survey, enumerators would make mistakes in remembering the options the respondents picked in question 1.

Is there a way I can restrict the options selectable in the further questions to the 5 options selected in question 1

Greetings,
Discussions in other forums of this community seem to have bordered on this.
For the sake of anyone coming across this, we can say a combination of “Validation in Q2” (see here to infer) and “Including responses in ‘hints’ of Q2” by calling ‘specific values’ of options chosen in Q1 (see here to infer) may do the trick.

However, a thought that has had our minds strolling up and down the corridor down here has been; “is there a way (possibly using referencing function) to make options appear in Q2 based on identical option set in Q1?”
Let’s say, we have 2 multi-select questions:
Q1: Which of these 5 fruits were you given? (1,2,3,4,5)
Q2: Which of the fruits you were given did you eat? (1,2,3,4,5)

…only that in this case, if respondent was given fruits 1,2 & 3; those are the 3 options we want to see in Q2.
Help! @stephanealoo @Kal_Lam

@DevAxle, could you provide more details (maybe with some sample options and how they should appear when selecting the options) on this so that the community should be able to help you solve your issue?

1 Like

Hi @DevAxle,

Cascading questions work just like you want :slight_smile:

https://support.kobotoolbox.org/cascading_select.html

2 Likes