I can't view maps in GPS questions!

Hello,

I have this problem that I can’t figure it’s solution, it is quite confusing me! I use this configuration yet I can’t see any map in the app when I use it:

type || name || label::Arabic (Ara) || required || appearance
geopoint || GPS || the question || false || placement-map

I tried several devices yet the same problem, I really wish if there a possibility to view the map (if it can be shown without the internet connection it would be a perfect solution)

Thank you in advance

I used ODK collect v1.23.3 yesterday and then without any farther modification the map is showing !
I tried this on Samsung tab 10.1 that released in 2019 and Samsung s9 phone

So I think there is some sort of a bug in the app.

now I am working to make offline maps because the .mbtiles layer of my country is not loading in offline mode - which is really important and needed for our project :sweat_smile::smile:

I will update when I figure up any solution to this issue.

1 Like

Hi @Zainab_ali,

Welcome to the community! Please follow the steps as mentioned below to overcome your issue:

• Open KoBoCollect app
  • Click to settings
  • Click General Settings
  • Click Maps
  • In the Source, select Google
  • Get back to the home scree of your KoBoCollect app

You should now be able to view the map (powered by Google Maps) in KoBoCollect.

GOOD DAY!

1 Like

I did that already and it didn’t work, actually I checked all the map sources available but no use!

Unless if there is new update available to KoBoCollect that solved this issue

Now I solved the offline maps as well, in my case I tried two options and they worked perfectly.

1. Humanitarian OpenStreet team web, this website is really helpful, select the segment, mbtiles format, zoom level - smaller segments give us more zoom choices- , and then extract the map, You will receive an email when your map is ready, and it is really good with good size.

• NOTE: you have to make smaller segment or reduce the zoom level if it has to generate more than 5000 renders. and because I needed more than this -needed a really close view for a whole country- I went to the second option.
  2. QGIS v.2.18.14 - it is a free program, I just installed it, then had two plugins in it (Qtiles & openlayers plugin), then went to web tab, selected layers plugin, then selected open street map - tried OSM Humanitatian as well and it works just as fine-, zoomed to desired place and then selected Qtiles option (shift+t), filled the options and got mymap! - The video I followed -

• Note that I am totally new to this program so I didn’t do any fancy things like using any layering thing or playing with colors …
1 Like

Thanks @Zainab_ali, for sharing your knowledge and experience with the entire community!

GOOD DAY!

1 Like

@Zainab_ali,

Would you mind trying the above mentioned by placing maps in the appearance while building your xlsform (or survey form in the Form Builder User Interface).

It should work, as it is working smoothly for me!

GOOD DAY!

Hi I have a similar problem when I go to “buscar ubicacion/find location” the phone (working with android) stay trying to find satellites and it didn display any option to do it manually or authomatic. just looking for satellite.
My ubication is “on” and my maps app works fine
I have chek the setting in Maps options and are ok.
Thanks

Hi @Meiporcasi,

Welcome to the community! Would you also mind checking the gps settings of your device. You may also have this sort of an issue if they are not turned on.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam,
we have the same KoBoCollect problem (since some time), also on more than one device.
Android device has google maps (and google earth) working fine for the same location.
Also, map shows with OpenStreetMap setting. But none of the google map options are working. It worked well last year. So, it might be related to a KoBoCollect system update.
KoBoCollect has access to google maps. I even reinstalled both again an the smartphone.

Here a test example:
MapTest_02.xlsx (8.8 KB). (background appearance, see previous post from stephane, seems only working with ODK).

But ok with OpenStreeMap

We need google maps, as we work in remote areas which are not covered in detail by OpenStreeMap
Kind regards

1 Like

Hello,
@Kal_Lam, @stephanealoo was this forwarded to the developers, please? (We also tested with google offline map, still the same problem).

Are there any community ideas for solution? Are google maps working at the moment for other KoBoCollect users?
Kind regards

1 Like

Hi @wroos,

Yes, i had observed this at my end too. Will try to ensure this gets fixed in the next release of the KoBoCollect android app.

Thank you for flagging this out! Expect the same in the upcoming days too.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam,
any news on this, please? Until when (release)? github link?
Kind regards

Hi @wroos,

Is this a problem only with google maps (in KoBoCollect android app) or is it also a problem with google maps (in ODK Collect)?

Have a great day!

Dear @Kal_Lam,
I don’t know, sorry. It was working well with KoBoCollect few time before.
Have a relaxing week-end.

@Zainab_ali, @Zainab_ali, @Meiporcasi, @wroos, kindly be informed that KoBoCollect android app now supports map in Google.

1 Like