Import dynamic data file (CSV link) from Sharepoint, Dropbox, Google Sheet, etc

Hello,

After the last big update, I have noticed that it is now possible to import media from external link, which is great. But I’ve come unable to use it properly. Here’s my case:

1. I built a form. I want to pull data from a CSV file into the form.
  2. Since Kobo now lets users import media from external link, it came to my mind that I can implement a ‘last month report’ kind of section into the form, which is of course then dynamic because data evolve every month and I thought that this way I don’t need to upload a new CSV every single time.
  3. But I’m running into two major issues:
    a. Since Kobo can’t pull data from XLS format but only CSV, the CSV doesn’t take in account formulas, so whenever I’m changing the file format, the formulas I’ve put in a column now become plain text. Is there a third-way you can suggest to pull data that evolve dynamically?
    b. At one time I gave up on the idea thinking maybe it’s not the right time to implement a. So I decided to delete the report section and just used usual CSV files. I tried to import it from sharepoint first, but it wouldn’t recognize the link (which I understand is from the fact that Sharepoint is a private platform), then tried with Dropbox. Dropbox would recognize the shared link as a valid media but I don’t know how to pull the data (I tried the ususal pull data, csv_file_name but it didn’t work. Same issue on Google Sheet. Is there something I missed or can I get tips on how to go through all this?

Thanks alot already.

1 Like

Welcome back to the community, @miranto! Maybe you could try using the dynamic data attachment feature which should solve your current need.

Hi,

I’ve come across the same issue. I want to link my form to a table. I also use Google Sheets and tried various methods of sharing it (both publishing it to web in CSV format but also having a CSV version of it on Google Drive). In both instances, the link I paste in the media URL are not recognized as a valid CSV link/file. I read the dynamic data attachment link above but to my understanding, this requires me to have a parent project and then potentially uploading all case data (through batch upload, maybe…?).

I do not want to go this extra mile as it’s not gonna be that much important for the work. In worst case scenario, I can always manually upload the CSV file to solve it but I wonder if there was something I missed that could solve the case? My objective by having the file on drive is so that whenever there is any update on the table, I can replace the file there without then reuploading the CSV.

Thank you