Instances not saving on Nexus 7

Hi guys,

I’ve got a bit of an odd problem, and I’m wondering if anyone has seen this before since I haven’t found anything exactly like it in the discussion forums.

I’ve loaded my current draft on to a Google Nexus 7 tablet. I can fill out the form, and everything seems to go well–at the end, I finalize and save. However, if I use my PC to look in the “Instances” folder when I’m done, it’s completely empty. The first couple of times I used it, I wound up with some new folders in the “Instances” folder, each named after the survey with accompanying digits that represented the date and time I completed the survey; however, each of the folders was empty. I deleted those and have been testing with a new version of the survey, and now I’m not getting anything in the instances folder at all after I finish and finalize.

If I click “Edit Saved Form” I see the instances I’ve finished and saved listed, but if I click on one I get the following error:

!ERROR OCCURRED

/storage/sdcard0/odk/forms/UGANDAN NATIONALS English.xml: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Since I’m using a Google Nexus 7, which doesn’t have an SD card, I thought that might be the issue. I tried to create a new “sdcard0” folder to house my “odk” folder and accompanying sub-folders, but that didn’t seem to solve the problem.

I first noticed that there was an issue when I was trying to use the stand-alone version of KoBoSync to aggregate my first few test surveys to .csv. I had run, finished and saved several tests of the survey, and wanted to check whether I could get them to .csv. KoBoSync didn’t recognize the tablets, so I copied the instances folder to my computer. I got the “0” errors after I ran KoBoSync, so I started trying to debug. That’s when I realized that the ‘Instances’ folder had no instances.

I don’t think I deleted anything necessary to the functioning of the survey, but I’ve attached my latest .xml code if anyone with more knowledge wants to take a gander at it. I’m also trying to figure out if I’ve got a weird Device ID on my tablet–I know that’s been a problem for some Google Nexus users who have discovered punctuation in their DeviceID fields. However, if I understand correctly, that shouldn’t keep KoBo from creating .xml documents in the instances folder, just keep KoBoSync from aggregating the .xml files (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Anyone have any thoughts? I’d really appreciate some help!

Thanks,

Josh

Whoops–forgot the .xml. Attached.

UGANDAN NATIONALS English_1102_1.xml (768 KB)

···

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:51:45 AM UTC+3, Joshua Rodd wrote:

Hi guys,

I’ve got a bit of an odd problem, and I’m wondering if anyone has seen this before since I haven’t found anything exactly like it in the discussion forums.

I’ve loaded my current draft on to a Google Nexus 7 tablet. I can fill out the form, and everything seems to go well–at the end, I finalize and save. However, if I use my PC to look in the “Instances” folder when I’m done, it’s completely empty. The first couple of times I used it, I wound up with some new folders in the “Instances” folder, each named after the survey with accompanying digits that represented the date and time I completed the survey; however, each of the folders was empty. I deleted those and have been testing with a new version of the survey, and now I’m not getting anything in the instances folder at all after I finish and finalize.

If I click “Edit Saved Form” I see the instances I’ve finished and saved listed, but if I click on one I get the following error:

!ERROR OCCURRED

/storage/sdcard0/odk/forms/UGANDAN NATIONALS English.xml: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Since I’m using a Google Nexus 7, which doesn’t have an SD card, I thought that might be the issue. I tried to create a new “sdcard0” folder to house my “odk” folder and accompanying sub-folders, but that didn’t seem to solve the problem.

I first noticed that there was an issue when I was trying to use the stand-alone version of KoBoSync to aggregate my first few test surveys to .csv. I had run, finished and saved several tests of the survey, and wanted to check whether I could get them to .csv. KoBoSync didn’t recognize the tablets, so I copied the instances folder to my computer. I got the “0” errors after I ran KoBoSync, so I started trying to debug. That’s when I realized that the ‘Instances’ folder had no instances.

I don’t think I deleted anything necessary to the functioning of the survey, but I’ve attached my latest .xml code if anyone with more knowledge wants to take a gander at it. I’m also trying to figure out if I’ve got a weird Device ID on my tablet–I know that’s been a problem for some Google Nexus users who have discovered punctuation in their DeviceID fields. However, if I understand correctly, that shouldn’t keep KoBo from creating .xml documents in the instances folder, just keep KoBoSync from aggregating the .xml files (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Thanks,

Josh

Never mind–apparently, one needs to reboot the Nexus 7 by turning it off and on before the files index and Windows 7 can read them (ht to Guzzichris who hit this problem about one year ago and posted about it). Still can’t use the “Edit Saved Form” command in KoBoCollect because of the lack of sd card, but that’s small potatoes.

···

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:59:27 AM UTC+3, Joshua Rodd wrote:

Whoops–forgot the .xml. Attached.

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:51:45 AM UTC+3, Joshua Rodd wrote:

Hi guys,

!ERROR OCCURRED

Thanks,

Josh