KoBo form auto refresh

Dear users,

do you know how to make Kobotoolbox automatically refresh the survey when we deploy a new form?

if it asks the respondents to press F5 or refresh by themselves, I think it would be very annoying

Regards,

Hi @terry87,

Could you kindly explain a bit more on automatically refreshing. Is it the Enketo (web form) or the KoBoCollect android app that you are trying to refer to?

GOOD DAY!

Hi,

The web form, when I deploy a new version.

Thanks

Hi @terry87,

It is generally good to refresh the data collection page (from Enketo) for the first time after making a re-deployment of a survey form. However, if you wish to collect your data in an online mode (requiring internet connection), you will not need to refresh your form every time you try to make a data entry.

However this is not the case if you wish to collect data through offline mode. This is because, the offline-capable version of Enketo (without requiring an internet connection) will load the locally-stored form first and then automatically check the server every few minutes for an updated version of the form.

Requires refreshing:

Does not require refreshing:

GOOD DAY!

1 Like

Hi,

thank you for the feedback,

unfortunately, I do not collect the data by myself. I gave the link of the form to the young people and they are the one who will open the form in their PC.

However, I do appreciate your contribution.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello,
I forgot to enable deviceid in metadata to recognize multiple submission. However, I have enabled and deployed a new version. Will it always load the older version if ‘online-offline’ is selected and a person is opening the link for the first time in his/her device?

If your team collecting data through the web form is within the reach of the internet, he/she should be able to get the latest version of the form, as the browser will automatically update the form to its latest version once it’s redeployed. But if he/she is not within the reach of the internet your team will end up collecting data in the old form.

So in such a case, maybe inform the team to be online once to collect the data. That should solve your issue.

As far as I see, the browser (Firefox) will first show a message that there is a new version, but will not yet use it before manually confirmed.

1 Like