Kobo functionality

Hi all,
I am very new to Kobo (and using survey apps) and have a very tight deadline to design a functional household survey that we will use in Zanzibar. The questionnaire is relatively short and simple. It requires having a household section (where the head of household will be asked about household information) and then an individual section for every member of that household. I have managed to make the simple form with the skip logic and validation I require but I have come up against some glitches and also have a couple of more complicated issues that I’m not sure how to resolve.

• Changing the question order- when I drag a question in the kobo form, it freezes and I get a null error and subsequently can’t alter it or delete it. For instance, I would like a GPS question at the top of my form but when I add a new question it automatically goes to the bottom. When I try and move it to the top, it becomes null.
  • I have a couple of questions (sex and personid ) in the form that aren’t appearing on the form in my tablet- both have ‘visible’ checked so I’m not sure why this is
  • I would like to generate an auto ID for each house and individual. I would like each tablet to have a fixed ID made up of the team number (1-8)- the house ID would then be made up of the team number and the number of the house they are visiting (i.e the first house would be 01. If team number 4 was visiting house number 5 the house ID would be 405.)
  • I have a repeat section to encompass the individual questions- before this section I ask how many household members there are in the house- I would like this repeating section to account for this number i.e 5 household members, 5 cycles of the repeat questions
  • I would like each individual to have an auto-generated ID number made up of the House ID (as above) and the person in house number i,e first person 01, second person 02- so full ID numbers would be 20401 for team 2’s, 4th house, 1st person. I would like to have an instruction for our enumerators to write this number on the sample we are collecting.
  • When I save the form in Kobo Collect it is automatically named Household Survey (the name of the form)- which can then be edited. What I’d like is for the name to automatically be the Household ID (as above): and the head of household name (as collected in the survey). This will differentiate between each form and mean that they can return to houses where people were absent to fill in further data.

Apologies for the list of questions. I’ve been thrown in the deep end and am doing my best to learn everything very quickly!

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have attached my current questionnaire for you to see.

Household survey 3105.xml (26.8 KB)

Jackie,

Appreciate that you are on a schedule. I am traveling to the middle east today for a KoBo project, I’ll try to sort out your issue this weekend. Thanks for the complete explanation and for attaching the form.

%Neil

···

On May 31, 2013 4:47 AM, “Jackie Cook” jackie...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,
I am very new to Kobo (and using survey apps) and have a very tight deadline to design a functional household survey that we will use in Zanzibar. The questionnaire is relatively short and simple. It requires having a household section (where the head of household will be asked about household information) and then an individual section for every member of that household. I have managed to make the simple form with the skip logic and validation I require but I have come up against some glitches and also have a couple of more complicated issues that I’m not sure how to resolve.

• Changing the question order- when I drag a question in the kobo form, it freezes and I get a null error and subsequently can’t alter it or delete it. For instance, I would like a GPS question at the top of my form but when I add a new question it automatically goes to the bottom. When I try and move it to the top, it becomes null.

• I have a couple of questions (sex and personid ) in the form that aren’t appearing on the form in my tablet- both have ‘visible’ checked so I’m not sure why this is

• I would like to generate an auto ID for each house and individual. I would like each tablet to have a fixed ID made up of the team number (1-8)- the house ID would then be made up of the team number and the number of the house they are visiting (i.e the first house would be 01. If team number 4 was visiting house number 5 the house ID would be 405.)

• I have a repeat section to encompass the individual questions- before this section I ask how many household members there are in the house- I would like this repeating section to account for this number i.e 5 household members, 5 cycles of the repeat questions

• I would like each individual to have an auto-generated ID number made up of the House ID (as above) and the person in house number i,e first person 01, second person 02- so full ID numbers would be 20401 for team 2’s, 4th house, 1st person. I would like to have an instruction for our enumerators to write this number on the sample we are collecting.

• When I save the form in Kobo Collect it is automatically named Household Survey (the name of the form)- which can then be edited. What I’d like is for the name to automatically be the Household ID (as above): and the head of household name (as collected in the survey). This will differentiate between each form and mean that they can return to houses where people were absent to fill in further data.

Apologies for the list of questions. I’ve been thrown in the deep end and am doing my best to learn everything very quickly!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Thanks so much Neil. I realise I’ve asked rather a lot of questions. Priority-wise, I can drop the auto IDs if necessary as I do have a barcode for each individual- I just wanted a backup. I think the most important issue is being able to see clearly which households need to be returned to i.e which ones have people who weren’t present in them. So for the houses to be automatically named something intuitive (linked from previously answered questions) and perhaps to have some sort of flag by them if not complete.

Thanks so much in advance.

Jackie

···

On Saturday, June 1, 2013 4:47:40 AM UTC+3, Neil Hendrick wrote:

Jackie,

Appreciate that you are on a schedule. I am traveling to the middle east today for a KoBo project, I’ll try to sort out your issue this weekend. Thanks for the complete explanation and for attaching the form.

%Neil

On May 31, 2013 4:47 AM, “Jackie Cook” jack...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Dear Neil,
I would highly appreciate to know, if these questions were answered. We have the same for the ID and linking issues.
Can you send a short feedback or links, please.
Thanks!
Kind regards