Labeling questions/answers for identification in CSV-file

Dear Tino,

Sorry to bother you again.
We did a pilot and everything worked well which was great! Thanks again so much for your kind help. Now we are almost ready for the actual project.

I
have one more question: If I open the CSV-file that I created with KoboSync, I see numbers and letters. Is there a way to mark the questions while creating the survey? I mean, is there a field where I can make short comments to later identify the questions/answers in the CSV-file e.g. q1, a1 etc. ?

That would be very helpful.

Have a good day and thanks a lot,
Larissa

Hi Larissa,
Glad to hear your project is going well. If I understand you correctly you want to be able to analyze the CSV file in a program like Excel and be able to identify what the different values stand for, e.g. ‘male’ and ‘female’ rather than ‘1’ and ‘2’.

You can change the individual IDs (or values) for each question and response from their default to something that you might find more valuable. The value field for each question and response is behind the ‘Show advanced properties’ button on the right. See below example where I changed the value from ‘1’ to ‘female’. You can do the same thing for question values, which are the column names in your CSV file. Here the default names are A01, A02, etc, but you can rename them to whatever you want, e.g. ‘gender’ or ‘q1_gender’. Just remember to use computer-friendly names (no special characters, no spaces, and always start a question value with a letter - not a number).

Hope this helps.

Tino

···

Tino Kreutzer

Program Manager
KoBoToolbox | Harvard Humanitarian Initiative

Tel +1 416 879 3667 | Skype tinokreutzer
tino.k...@kobotoolbox.org

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Larissa Leben lariss...@gmail.com wrote:

Dear Tino,

Sorry to bother you again.
We did a pilot and everything worked well which was great! Thanks again so much for your kind help. Now we are almost ready for the actual project.

I have one more question: If I open the CSV-file that I created with KoboSync, I see numbers and letters. Is there a way to mark the questions while creating the survey? I mean, is there a field where I can make short comments to later identify the questions/answers in the CSV-file e.g. q1, a1 etc. ?

That would be very helpful.

Have a good day and thanks a lot,
Larissa

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Perfect!! Yes, that helps a lot.
Thank you very much.