Labels in dataset synced with via API (Excel Power query)

I use API to connect Kobo with an excel file on my server which works well to automatically download the data. However, it downloads only the values and I would prefer to have the labels instead (e.g. for column headers or choice questions). Anyone knows if it is possible to get the labels and if so, how it works?

Hi @khalid_amarkhail1
Could you please have a look at the following discussions.

Stephane

1 Like

Hi I have tried your suggestion. I have provided the url as entered to link.
url
and also a picture of how the data is then displayed in power bi. I have no lables and the data is full of delimiters.
data in power bi

Can you tell me what seems to be causing this to display like this?

Hi @scherrie,

I just checked the same with the following link:

https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/scherriegriffin/reports/aQcL3YMhnLcgh7Xavp3A93/export.csv?lang=english

I was able to get the data with labels in my end after configuring Delimiter to Semicolon as shown in the image below:

The data now seems to be readable.

Have a great day!

Hi Kal,

When changing it to semi colon it is somewhat readable. However the data is not showing up in all the fields. See below.

In the colums “country of origin, occupation and sector” the xml values are showing in most instances as opposed to the english choice. Therefore, this seems to not resolve this issue.

Hi @scherrie,

Would you mind trying this out with a simple survey project that does not have complex calculations.

Have a great day!

Hi @scherrie
In addition if the delimiter is found within typed in text, then the data may be broken. You need to check on what is used to clearly define your continous text; the system uses double quotations i.e. if your text is written as “my name is; stephen”, without the defining the double quotation, this will be split into two variables/columns, however when defined, this will appear into two columns.

My easiest way of checking is to normally download the CSV and use a programme such as IBM SPSS to convert the data into SPSS and see how the delimiters and continuous text definition works.

Stephane

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I am not a programmer. I am simply new to Kobo, but through this forum and trial and error, I was able to create a good form with some complexed calculations. There is still a lot that I do not know and understand. I was just trying to find a way to simplify things for me. Thanks for your help thus far. I wish I had more time to learn, as opposed to doing in order to execute a program with a deadline. Appreciate all the support.

1 Like

Hi @Scherrie,
To best understand delimiters have a look at the following video

Stephane.

1 Like

Hi @stephanealoo
I didn’t get it right. Where should I write the default language structure? There is only “share publicly by link” option.

Hi @khalid_amarkhail1
You need to have a quick look at the XLSform structure on this article

Stephane