Missing media from .zip download

Hello,

I have a form with about 900 responses. About 650 included pictures. When I bulk download the .zip file, it contains all the images except for two, which I cannot find. The downloaded data includes a file name in the “photo” field with a jpg file name indicated, but when I click the link where it should be, I get “Attachment not found”. Anyone have any idea what happened and if it would be possible to recover this data?

Hi @jseiden,

Did you try out downloading the file for the second time (logging out from the user account)? If you see the same message could you kindly share us the screen-shot of the problem that you see.

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam, thanks for the reply.

Note that there is no “error” displayed by KoBo when I download the file. The .zip downloads just fine. I just created a new export and tried downloading the files again. I’ve located the two records on the server and opened them individually as well. They appear to have a file uploaded as shown in the below screenshot. When I click the photo image, it directs me to the same filename path that I got when I downloaded it in the .zip

However, when I click the link, I get the following error:

It’s hard to know where the error was. Maybe there was an issue with the upload off of the tablet? Not sure, but it definitely looks like we lost a couple of photos. FYI: this is from an old data collection and is housed on the legacy kc server. Not sure if that makes a difference!

Hi @jseiden,

Your problem seems really weird but interesting too. As you say its an old issue, the problem (if it was a bug in the development aspect) might have already been solved by the developers. However, if i see any aspects on why it really happened will reach out to you. In the meantime if you face any similar problem please feel free to flag it out so that it doesn’t get repeated with other users. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jseiden

Did you get a solution to this issue. I am currently facing this issue.

Thanks,

Hi @uwanja. No, I never figured this out. My best guess is there was an error in the uploading of the media, but I don’t have a way to replicate the issue to explore further.

Hi @jseiden,

The images and video uploads on my private Kobo Instance refused to work. I have decided to use the public Kobo which works perfectly as I can upload all files. I have used end to end encryption to secure the files. The encryption is working since I can’t also access the files when I download from the portal.

1 Like

Hi @jseiden
Are you currently also using a private server? If not which server are you having issues on? You should also try out alternative media downloads

Regards
Stephane

Hi all, I’ve found a similar issue after using the process to manually upload some submissions (described here). When downloading the ZIP file, we miss the media files from the manually uploaded submissions, although they were in the exported ZIP file from the particular user.

Any ideas on what went wrong or how to manually upload the missing media files?

Thanks.

Hi @dterol
If your media files were large and they failed to upload the first time, then there is no way to upload them after the initial failure. We advise that you manage the size of your media during collection as indicated in this link

Regards
Stephane

Thanks. We collect all our files from desktop, mostly files like pdf or .doc or screen captures so we can’t easily control the size of attachments. In the meantime, we’ve seem some of our problems were related to use file names with special chars like “#” which seems not to be properly parsed.

2 Likes