multi selects are causing problems

this was originally asked in the ODK community form.

We are testing putting surveys on mobile devices and we tried koboforms first.

The main problems we were having is with multi select variables.

The question text and hint change to undefined and I don’t understand why.

once we get a form build and change the undefined entries back to their values another multi select will loose it and go undefined.

IF we manage to get the form build and saved it all looks fine and loads on the device then on the multi selections if the first one turns on

or enables the following question it works, but if another selection in this question is selected the following question is turned back to the hidden state.

thinking it was a kobo form problem we changed over to purcforms and tried it.

the interface produced a product with no changes make to the multi selects to undefined and the output looked better but again the multi select answers looked great

in their test window turning on and off the correct follow questions.

We put it on an android device using odk and click 1 turns on q9, check 1 and 2 and q9 disappears.

an example of this is

crops = asp enable q9

works but it they also check both asp and corn in the crops question q9 disappears.

since your code says

relevant="/new_form1/crops = ‘asp’"

do they need to be manually changed to something like relevant=“selected(/new_form1/crops ,‘asp’)”

it is just something I am sure I am doing in the question definition but unsure why multi gives this problem.

I am assuming that something is up with all online designers with multi select questions or something i just do not understand why kobo forms switches to undefined and why the skip patterns do not seem to work correctly with multi select questions.

and trying to describe what is happening is tough in a text box LOL

You would have to use “relevant=“selected(/new_form1/crops ,‘asp’)”” because “=” doesn’t work with multi-select options.

···

On Monday, October 22, 2012, jerry wrote:

this was originally asked in the ODK community form.

We are testing putting surveys on mobile devices and we tried koboforms first.

The main problems we were having is with multi select variables.

The question text and hint change to undefined and I don’t understand why.

once we get a form build and change the undefined entries back to their values another multi select will loose it and go undefined.

IF we manage to get the form build and saved it all looks fine and loads on the device then on the multi selections if the first one turns on

or enables the following question it works, but if another selection in this question is selected the following question is turned back to the hidden state.

thinking it was a kobo form problem we changed over to purcforms and tried it.

the interface produced a product with no changes make to the multi selects to undefined and the output looked better but again the multi select answers looked great

in their test window turning on and off the correct follow questions.

We put it on an android device using odk and click 1 turns on q9, check 1 and 2 and q9 disappears.

an example of this is

crops = asp enable q9

works but it they also check both asp and corn in the crops question q9 disappears.

since your code says

relevant=“/new_form1/crops = ‘asp’”

do they need to be manually changed to something like relevant=“selected(/new_form1/crops ,‘asp’)”

it is just something I am sure I am doing in the question definition but unsure why multi gives this problem.

I am assuming that something is up with all online designers with multi select questions or something i just do not understand why kobo forms switches to undefined and why the skip patterns do not seem to work correctly with multi select questions.

and trying to describe what is happening is tough in a text box LOL

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/kobo-users/-/hDj1Q-x3DyoJ.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

We just tried using kobo forms again.

We put in 1 multi select option and 3 questions.

the skip patterns looked good.

Q1 multi

Q2 text

Q3 text

Q4 text

Q2 - Q4 were based in Q1 options.

When we saved the file it again set the Q1 question text and hint to undefined.

but the skip pattern now shows as this

which is exactly what you were saying below am I correct in that assumption?

When we did the entire survey of 63 questions about half of the multi selects were saved as undefined while the other half were still correct with their quesiton text and hint.

Can this be an error on our test system and the way we are connected to the internet.

We have tried both chrome and firefox and both do this same thing.

Of course we are behind a firewall and having to go thru a proxy server here at work.

Fully updated with a complete java developer version and every other plugin we can think of.

Jerry,
Can you post your XML form so we can see where you are missing out on getting your form to work the way you want it.

Working behind a firewall and proxy server should be no issue, but if you want to you can download the offline installer and run completely offline.

~Neil Hendrick
KoBo Developer

···

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:56 AM, jerry stalnak...@uams.edu wrote:

We just tried using kobo forms again.

We put in 1 multi select option and 3 questions.

the skip patterns looked good.

Q1 multi

Q2 text

Q3 text

Q4 text

Q2 - Q4 were based in Q1 options.

When we saved the file it again set the Q1 question text and hint to undefined.

but the skip pattern now shows as this

which is exactly what you were saying below am I correct in that assumption?

When we did the entire survey of 63 questions about half of the multi selects were saved as undefined while the other half were still correct with their quesiton text and hint.

Can this be an error on our test system and the way we are connected to the internet.

We have tried both chrome and firefox and both do this same thing.

Of course we are behind a firewall and having to go thru a proxy server here at work.

Fully updated with a complete java developer version and every other plugin we can think of.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/kobo-users/-/X2exgZ01D5oJ.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.