Multiple select questions difficult to read on exported data

Hello,

I am working on a clinical data collection that needs reporting to clinicians; I have various multiple select questions and when downloading the data, it also shows the ones that have not been selected:

if yes, select those that apply, type of question, and on the data download it shows also the ones that don’t apply as 0 and the ones that apply as 1. This makes the data output very long and hard to read for clinicians.

is there a way to download the data showing only the ones that apply?

many thanks in advance,

Cesc

Hi @Cesc,

Welcome to the community! Kindly please be informed that multiple choice questions (aka multiple response questions) generally can be designed in two different approaches viz. dichotomy variables and the category variables.

However, please be informed that KoBoToolbox uses the first approach i.e. dichotomy variables. As you may already know dichotomy variables has two values i.e. 0 and 1 where 0 is labeled as No and 1 as Yes (in general).

In the KoBoToolbox environment you will see it as 0 if the choice is not selected and 1 if the choice is selected (when you try to download the data-set in the XLS version. You will see the same as FALSE if the choice is not selected and TRUE if the choice is selected (when you try to download the data-set in the XLS (legacy) version.

Thus, kindly please be informed that KoBoToolbox at the moment does not offer you the feature to restructure your dichotomy variables to category variables (or allows you to collect your data in a category variables approach). If you wish to restructure them (transform your dichotomy variables to category variables) you could however use some third party software viz. SPSS, stata, SAS etc.

If you still do not wish to see the 0 or the FALSE from your data-set, you could simply delete them from your Excel file.

Have a great day!