ODK Briefcase will not open

Hi everyone,

I have encrypted data that I am trying to decrypt following the instructions here. I downloaded ODK Briefcase version 15.0 and it worked to decrypt my data, but as of a couple of weeks ago ODK Briefcase fails to open on my laptop. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files 6 and ODK Briefcase (tried with versions 15, 17, and 18), but it still is not opening and I am therefore unable to decrypt my data. Can you please provide guidance on how I can fix this problem?

Many thanks,
Sara

Welcome to the community, @SWolfLumos! Would you mind trying it on other devices to see if you are able to open it?

Thanks very much. I just tried downloading the Java extension v 8 rather than 6, which is recommended on the Kobo instruction page. This has worked; I’ve successfully opened ODK Briefcase and decrypted my data. I’m not sure if this is something to do specifically with my laptop, but perhaps it’s necessary to update the instructions.

2 Likes

Thank you for updating this in the community @SWolfLumos! It should help a lot of our community users.