QR question won't work - help please!

Hi

I am trying to create a form that includes a QR question.

I have created a form to use on my Samsung S2 tablet, but the QR question doesn’t seem to work… I was expecting it to link to the tablet camera or at least open the camera function but it does not seem to do this. I’ve noticed that in the past the photo questions just seemed to link directly to the camera but for the past year or so they only open the camera function and allow me to take photos that way. I’m wondering if the problem is with a software update that now affects the way the form and the camera communicate, or is it simply to do with me not setting up the QR question correctly and unrelated to the change in the way photo questions respond? I tend to upload my forms directly onto the tablet rather than go via kobocollect.

I know the tablet can read QR codes as I’ve done so with it in the past so I don’t think the issue relates to software in that respect… But I’ve also installed a QR reading app which has tested fine.
The QR question when tapped to open just pulls up the keypad as if it expects a text entry…

I’ve tried looking through the help forums but cannot find anything.

Hope you can assist!

Thanks

What is the question type? Hope you’re using barcode?

Hi
As far as I know I am!
I selected the barcode / QR code option when creating the form…
Thanks

Hi @gmarie,

Welcome to the community! Could you please ensure the KoBoCollect mobile app version that you are using at present. The one available at present is v1.14.0a and will be updated soon. I had recently tested a barcode question with this version and it worked smoothly. Have your tried with the ODK Collect? Could you please try and let us know what happens.

Hi
At the moment I just open the forms directly through kobo toolbox on the tablet and then add them to the tablet homescreen for offline use. Do you think that could be the problem? I’ve never used them any other way…
Thanks

Hi @gmarie,

Would you try collecting the QR Codes from KoBoCollect mobile app.

just getting it sorted to try. be back with you soon…

1 Like

O - that was interesting - I can now scan the QR code YAYYY - but half my other questions appear to be missing… not yayy!
Assuming I can find the rest of the questions -Would this version work offline though?
Thank you! Some progress at least!

1 Like

Looking at the form, the missing questions are part of groups that come later. Mght that be why? or are they there somewhere I just need to find how to ‘open’ them in KoboCollect version?

Hi @gmarie,

Please check out if the group questions have been controlled by any skips in it. Unless an until there are no skips with it it shouldn’t be missing out.

Besides, please note that KoBoCollect mobile app is able to perform in offline mode too. The only time when you require an internet with the KoBoCollect is when you are trying to Get Blank Form and when you wish to Send Finalized Form.

Hi
there are no skips as far as I can see, but there are repeating questions. In this case I might be able to ‘ungroup’ them without it being a problem but that may not always work…

Hi @gmarie,

Could you share your xlsform so that we could have a closer look with the questions that gets lost :face_with_monocle:

YIKES! How do I do that??? Sorry I am not the most tech savvy but if you can guide me through how to do that I’d be very grateful!

Hi @gmarie,

For this follow the instructions as provided below:

• Select the project.
  • Select Form.
  • You will see three dots . . . somewhere at the top right. Select it and you will see download XLS.
  • Press the download XLS and you will be able to download your xlsform.

OK - got that done - how is the best way to now share that with you? The ‘Share’ button below doesn’t seem to be what I want to do…
Sorry - you are being very patient!
I can snip & copy an image of the XLS but I assume you need the proper file?

Hi @gmarie,

I would appreciate if you could upload me the xlsform (instead of the screenshot) as that would save my time.

Hi
Sorry ran out of replies! Seems that as a ‘new user’ I cannot upload files either! Not sure how long that will remain the case! If I can get something to upload later today I will. In the meantime any suggestions based o what you can see would be most appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi - this is my problem with uploading the file too! Can you make the same change noted in the link below? I assume you are staff or are you a helpful forum member!