Repeating groups: eliminating options after each iteration

Hi,

We are collecting data on students in government schools in rural Pakistan. We already know their names, but other data we are collecting needs to be updated weekly. Here’s my strategy for doing this:

Group iteration 1:

Student Name - select one

1. Ahmed

2. Ali

3. Hussain

Weight

(x) kg

Is it possible that, if for example I chose to enter Ali’s data in the first iteration, the second group iteration looks like this:

Group iteration 1:

1. Ahmed

2. Hussain

Weight

(x) kg

Please let me know if this is possible. Thaanks!

Hi Ahwaz,
If you know the number of students in advance, which seems to be the case, I’d say the easiest solution is to avoid loops altogether and adapt the questions & syntax of the attached file, having the number of questions appear as many times as there are students (+ adding the one concerning the weight the same number of times)- however you’ll need to think out how you want to do your analysis thoroughly if you haven’t done this already.

It’s possible to delve data out of a loop into another loop (but pretty tricky), however to be honest this request you are making is delving data from one instance of a loop into another instance of the same loop- have never needed to do it myself and can’t think of an easy solution.

Hope this is helpful,

Maeve

Filtering answer choices based on previous response.xlsx (13 KB)

···

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 1:07:42 PM UTC+2, Ahwaz Akhtar wrote:

Hi,

We are collecting data on students in government schools in rural Pakistan. We already know their names, but other data we are collecting needs to be updated weekly. Here’s my strategy for doing this:

Group iteration 1:

1. Ahmed
  1. Ali
  1. Hussain

Weight

(x) kg

Is it possible that, if for example I chose to enter Ali’s data in the first iteration, the second group iteration looks like this:

Group iteration 1:

1. Ahmed
  1. Hussain

Weight

(x) kg

Please let me know if this is possible. Thaanks!