Second language text not saving

Hello,

Some of my answer option choices in Arabic are not saving when building the form through the project dashboard. I have tried 3 times and press ‘save changes’, but when I deploy the form and view it they are missing again.

Thanks for any help on this.

Hannah

Hi @Hannah,

This issue has already been flagged with the developers. Just to let you know, the issue (translation not saved) generally occurs when the question has a common response options viz. 1. Yes, 2. No. It will get fixed soon.

At the moment, you could overcome this error by making translations in the xlsform by downloading the survey forms and then uploading the survey form (with translations) back to the server.

Hi,
has this issue been solved, please? I am facing the same problem as discussed here and in other similar threads.
Thanks a lot!
Jan

Hi @janrikovsky
Welcome to the community forum.

Could you kindly explain your problem in detail even if you feel it is similar? This will allow more users to respond to your issue without the need of going through the discussion trail. Kindly provide as much detail as possible

Stephane

2 Likes

Hi Stephane,
thank you very much for your reply.
The problem is exactly as described here: Translations not saving - #4 by joeypedicini92
by joeypedicini92

Thanks,
Jan

Hi @janrikovsky
Are you confirming that you have tested and your issue is as described in the Github issue within the post you have referenced

Stephane

1 Like

I just verified that the fix for Choice translations not saving · Issue #2274 · kobotoolbox/kpi · GitHub is still present and working on https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/. My screenshots and form JSON illustrate that the translations editor works properly even when choices from different choice lists have the same name: in this example, both lists bk5ko92 and os6ic02 have yes and no choices, but I was still able to translate them independently.

@janrikovsky, please provide the exact steps necessary to reproduce the problem you’re seeing so that we can proceed with troubleshooting. After you’ve done that, if we still cannot reproduce or understand the problem, @stephanealoo may access your account and look at your form in particular to diagnose the issue. Thanks.




The form JSON:

{
    "schema": "1",
    "survey": [
        {
            "name": "start",
            "type": "start",
            "$kuid": "87fkTWbXr",
            "$autoname": "start"
        },
        {
            "name": "end",
            "type": "end",
            "$kuid": "5grCis9nN",
            "$autoname": "end"
        },
        {
            "type": "select_one",
            "$kuid": "qm9oq12",
            "label": [
                "yes or no?",
                "?on ro sey"
            ],
            "required": false,
            "$autoname": "yes_or_no",
            "select_from_list_name": "bk5ko92"
        },
        {
            "type": "select_one",
            "$kuid": "ud1nq50",
            "label": [
                "also yes or no?",
                "?on ro sey osla"
            ],
            "required": false,
            "$autoname": "also_yes_or_no",
            "select_from_list_name": "os6ic02"
        }
    ],
    "choices": [
        {
            "name": "yes",
            "$kuid": "8yXvsdtH3",
            "label": [
                "yes",
                "sey (i)"
            ],
            "list_name": "bk5ko92",
            "$autovalue": "yes"
        },
        {
            "name": "no",
            "$kuid": "RR9D9b8Rm",
            "label": [
                "no",
                "on (i)"
            ],
            "list_name": "bk5ko92",
            "$autovalue": "no"
        },
        {
            "name": "yes",
            "$kuid": "fjaYxcxsp",
            "label": [
                "yes",
                "sey (ii)"
            ],
            "list_name": "os6ic02",
            "$autovalue": "yes"
        },
        {
            "name": "no",
            "$kuid": "o5QDxq2GF",
            "label": [
                "no",
                "on (ii)"
            ],
            "list_name": "os6ic02",
            "$autovalue": "no"
        }
    ],
    "settings": {
        "default_language": "English (en)"
    },
    "translated": [
        "label"
    ],
    "translations": [
        "English (en)",
        "Hsilgne (ne)"
    ]
}
1 Like

Hi jnm and stephane,
thank you very much for your replies. I have updated the translations in the xls form (downloading and uploading again) so I do not have any urgent need to fix this anymore.
However, in case you are interested and for future projects, previously I did the following steps (all in web editor):

  • creating the form in the web editor in English
  • added new language (French)
  • manage translations (French)
  • inserted translated questions and answers (4 pages)
  • saved the form
  • deployed the form
  • tested the form and found out that some questions and answers in French are not being displayed
  • opened the manage translation feature
  • discovered some translations (mostly on third and fourth page) are blank
  • inserted the missing translations
  • saved it multiple times
  • closed manage translations
  • open manage translations
  • the same translations were missing again
  • repeated the last 5 steps two times with the same result
  • found out there is a topic on this forum
  • wrote here because it seems it should have been fixed already

Thank you very much for your support, I am new to this forum:)

2 Likes

Thanks for these details!

1 Like