Sharing doesn't work

In the new frontend I can choose that I want to share my data publicly, but the generated link only works by logging in. I would like to publicly distribute a card like before under https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/ without login, if possible only with reviewed entries. Or is this function no longer planned without login?

Hi

When sharing data publicly, the data can be accessed by anyone but they must have an account on the same server you are in. On the other hand, when allowing for the project to be public in the settings page too, then you are simply enabling any one with a link to data collection to collect the data without the need to have an account. I hope this clarifies the issue

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Hello,

I am following the instructions shared above (see screenshot attached): checking both boxes, and using the link displayed. But opening the link brings up a screen to log in to Kobo. Does this mean that it is impossible to share data publicly? And that only Kobo users can view the data?

Thank you,
Raphael

Hi @raph,

You got that correct. If you use this method to share your data the user at the other end will get the login and will have to use his/her personal credentials to login but will be able to see the forms/data that you have shared.

Have a great day!

Thank you @Kal_Lam for the quick response. So “share publicly” does not actually mean publicly. There is no way to share form data with members of the public (people who do not have Kobo accounts). I sthat correct?

1 Like

Hi @raph,

Would you mind trying the workaround shared previously (it should solve your issue):

Have a great day!

Thank you @Kal_Lam, this is exactly what we were looking for. I am copying here your answer from the other posts so others can find it easily:

There is another way of sharing project data (which does not require KoBo User Account). I wouldn’t encourage this method as this feature includes Projects (legacy) which is being shortly removed by KoBoToolbox in the near future. However, for this please select the Projects (legacy)>Project Name>Project Settings>Turn on (Share project with other users) . You will receive a link which you could share with others to share your project information. Please note, for this you will not need to login to your KoBoToolbox User Account .

1 Like

@Kal_Lam, you also mentioned that this legacy feature will be removed. Is there a plan to implement a new version of this feature, to enable users to share their data publicly? From our perspective, this is really important.

1 Like

Hi @raph,

Will let you know if i hear any!

Have a great day!