Submission Failed The data server for your form or the Enketo server is down. Please try again later or contact support@kobotoolbox.org. (500)

I keep receiving this error message when I try to edit and submit a submission:

Submission Failed

The data server for your form or the Enketo server is down. Please try again later or contact support@kobotoolbox.org. (500)

I am using the humanitarian server. I am the owner of the project.

Welcome to the community, @bpissaris1! Could you check if the network connection is OK? In addition, please also check your project is still there on the server (deployed).

The network connection is ok and the project is still on the server. I have users submitting new surveys daily.

I am trying to edit a user’s submission to fix a data entry error.

@bpissaris1, are you the admin owner of the project or was it a project that was shared with you?

Dear Kal_Lam

I am the owner and creator of the project.

@bpissaris1, would you mind sharing the following information through a private message so that I could have a closer look at your case:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Note: You could share with me a private message as outlined in the post discussed previously:

@bpissaris1, is it OK if I make a dummy entry and try editing the same to see how it behaves?

Yes okay. Use 888888 for the user id and CDS number fields but this will not pull any information from the media file.

@bpissaris1, I was able to make a dummy submission and was also able to edit the submission.

FYR: Here is the dummy entry I made:

And this is a sample of the edits I made:

I did this with Chrome in Windows 11 OS.

Feel free to delete my dummy response which i submitted for testing.

Dear Kal_Lam,

I saw your dummy file and was able to edit it myself.

I am having trouble with this particular record.

If you load the record below and scroll down to section B of the survey, you will see that there is a data entry error. I am trying to change the Murid Individual number from 128951 to 128921. I use pull data to retrieve information from the media file. I think this is part of the problem.

@bpissaris1, could you share with me the _id for this case?

The _id is: 381360580

@bpissaris1, I was able to change it. FYR:

But at the same time, it seems like you are trying to reference the information within a repeat group using the pulldata function. In this case i would advise you go through this post discussed previously:

Hello i’m having exactly the same problem and i’ve read through the chat history.
I successfully made a dummy entry from another device tried editing some data types and they were actually successful.

However, i was able to do a location correction prior to the error but right now location type data still gives me the error “Submission failed the data server for your form or Enketo server is down…”.
Please any suggestions to get past this?

Edit: Turns out that after a while the error stopped completely. Keeping my fingers crossed as i continue.

This may be due to duplicate records in the server.

1 Like