Unable to add KoBo user to share permissions

Hi @vklopez,

Welcome to the community! Please try out the followings to share your project with other users: Select SETTINGS>Sharing>Invite collaborators.

Once you are here (as shown in the image above), you will see an area where you are allowed to Enter a username. Type the KoBo username correctly here. Then to its right side you will see an area with select mentioned. Here you will have the following options to select View Form, Edit Form, View Submissions, Add Submissions, Edit Submissions, Validate Submissions. Select one of them and press INVITE. If you wish to provide the user multiple permissions repeat the process by entering the same KoBo username (you entered earlier to provide permission over your project) and then providing another permission and then providing the INVITE again. You will need to repeat this process until you are done.

Yes, this is exactly what I did. But the username I typed in - which, again, was typed in correctly- is not recognized.

Hi @vklopez,

Please note that sharing projects between the humanitarian server viz. the OCHA server (humanitarianresponse.info) and the non humanitarian server viz. the HHI server (kobotoolbox.org) is not possible. Sharing projects with other users is only possible within the same server.

I had a question on the multiple options for sharing. If I grant another user “Edit Form” permissions, do I also need to grant them “View Form”? It seems like “Edit Form” should imply a higher level of permissions, so that subordinate permissions are included. Is that the case? Same question for add/edit/validate submissions. If I need to give complete permissions to another user, can I just allow them to “validate submissions” and “edit forms” (which to me seem the highest levels of permission) or do I need to do all five steps? Also, is there a way to transfer ownership of a form?

I am also looking into permissions. Here is what I have found so far:

Permissions are grouped together, and additional permissions can be added by selecting the same username and selecting another choice from the dropdown list.

Groups
• View Form
• Edit Form + View Form
• View Submissions + View Form
• Add Submissions + View Form
• Edit Submissions + View Form and View Submissions
• Validate Submissions + View Form and View Submissions

I do not know about transferring ownership of a form. Good question.

2 Likes

Thanks @jblackman. So from your grouping, if I want to give a user all possible permissions, I would need to grant them “Edit Form” + “Add Submissions” + “Edit Submissions” + “Validate Submissions”, correct?

1 Like

That seems correct. As you add the permissions to the user, you will get a display of the permissions that have been added. So, if you add Edit Submissions you will also see View Form and View Submissions.

Note that only the owner can delete a form. Not sure about archiving - have not tested - but probably the same.

1 Like

That seems correct. Also, it seems like it’s not possible to remove yourself from a form. So if a user adds you to their form, then you cannot remove yourself!

1 Like

I can see how that could be annoying, but it makes sense. I guess you would have to send a message to the owner asking to be removed.

1 Like

I don’t find SETTINGS>Sharing>Invite collaborators - only “**SETTINGS>Sharing>add user” - and then, when I type in anything, it goes on to say “user not found”. I presume there should be a pre-existing list of users. But how are the pre-existing users entered in the first place? This is soo frustrating. I need to use it in the classroom. And I don’t want the students to each have to open a Kobo account

Hi @DigitalWarrior,

Welcome to the community! Yes, it has now been changed to ADD USERS. To share your project with other follows the steps outlined below:

• Click to ADD USERS
  • Enter the user name of the person you wish to share your project with (note: it should be from the same server you are using i.e. if you are using the OCHA server the person’s user account should also be from within the OCHA server)
  • Click to the permissions that you would wish to provide (at this stage, the GRANT PERMISSIONS gets activated)
  • Click the GRANT PERMISSIONS and you are done

For details, you could also have a look at the support article Managing Permissions.

GOOD DAY!

Hi Kal_Lam,
Thank you so much.

It is an exciting opportunity for us

I am looking forward to explore!

1 Like

Hi Kal_Lam,

Enter the user name of the person you wish to share your project with (note: it should be from the same server you are using i.e. if you are using the OCHA server the person’s user account should also be from within the OCHA server)

Do you mean the perso’s Kobo user account ?

1 Like

Hi @DigitalWarrior,

Yes, the person’s KoBoToolbox user account!

GOOD DAY!

Hi @Kal_Lam,

I am also trying to add users to my deployed project so that i can collect data on my android device.I have correctly entered all the necessary requirements on the android device such as the URL (https://kc.kobotoolbox.org) together with the username and password and i am not using a humanitarian account. When i try to grant permissions, the user is not being found in the server.

What could be the problem?

Hi @lwambulastevenluputa,

Is it that you are not able to GET Blank Forms from the KoBoToolbox server to your android device?

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam

Not that. The usernames that i am creating on my android device are not being found when i try to grant them permissions for a project in my account.

Even if i put the server (https://kc.kobotoolbox.org) correctly in the general settings.

Hi @lwambulastevenluputa,

Kindly please be informed that you will be able to share permissions only among user account that has been created within a specific server (i.e. within OCHA or within HHI) i.e. if you have accounts say Account_A and Account_B created under OCHA, you should be able to share the forms and project between Account_A and Account_B. However, you are not able to share it with Account_C say if Account_C has been created under HHI server.

Hope it solved you issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like

@Kal_Lam

Thank you.

1 Like