Unable to download XLS form

I’m not able to download the XLS version of a form I’ve created. Clicking on the download XLS option does nothing at all; there is no response from the website.

The reason I need this is that I had created a form using the form builder and need to add repeat count for a question based on answer to another question. I’ve found out that this feature is not currently available in the form builder. In the past, I was able to accomplish this by downloading the XLS, adding the repeat_count in the XLS and uploading it again to create a form. The problem is that I’m not able to download the XLS version of my form now. Clicking on the download XLS option does nothing at all. There is absolutely no response from the website.

It would be really helpful if someone could guide me on how to resolve this.

Welcome to the community, @lkumar! Could you share with us a screenshot of the unresponsive download? Does it also show any error message? Which browser are you using? Could you change your browser to a modern one like the Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc.?

Hey @Kal_Lam ! Thanks for the prompt response! So there is no error message at all but there’s no response too. Basically nothing is happening when I click on that option. I’m using Chrome Version 93.0.4577.82. So I don’t think the browser is the issue.
I was just able to find a workaround for this though! I realized that when I hovered on the option to download xls, the hyperlink it was supposed to invoke was shown at the bottom left of my browser page. For the form I was working with, it was “https://kf.kobotoolbox.org/api/v2/assets/aWM4MbzmS8vgVtrKDamkf8.xls”. I just entered this link into the address bar and the file automatically downloaded!
I think, for some reason, clicking on the “Donwnload XLS” option is not invoking this request as it should.

1 Like

@lkumar, please be informed that I could download the xlsform without any issue. But good to know that you at least found out a solution that could download your xlsform. In the meantime as a cross check, could you create a dummy survey project and then try downloading the xlsform to see if you are able to download for the same?

@Kal_Lam I’ve since realized that none of the options on the menu that show after clicking on the 3 dots (marked by red pen in the image) on the form landing page are working for me. I’ve tried it with another project, cloning this project, but nothing is working. But since I’m able to download the form using the hyperlink method, I’m good for now! Thanks for the support @Kal_Lam !

image|690x346

1 Like

Could you give a try with another device to see if the same happens?

I was facing the same issue and was able to workaround by right-clicking on the download option and opening in a new tab/window

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @appu11vk! Thank you for sharing the solution with the entire community! :clap: :heart: :partying_face:

Me, facing the same issue…clicking on download xls file, but no response at all

Thanx, it works…

@Shubhasis, I would appreciate it if you could have one post for an issue. Multiple posts for the same issue should make the search difficult in the community. Let us discuss your issue in the other post if it’s still not solved.

Thanks brother for sharing your solution. It helped me today when I was not able to download xls form in a kobo.local installation.

1 Like

@lkumar Thanks for sharing your solution, it was useful to me because I had the same problem.

@Kal_Lam I have two forms, with one of them I had this problem downloading, but with the first the download worked fine, which means that it is not a browser configuration problem or extensions interfering with the download. I checked the settings of both my forms and they are both the same so I think it is a platform issue. If you need more information I can send you the IDs of my forms wherever you tell me.
Kind regards.

Welcome back to the community, @Akratos! Could you also kindly share with us the detailed steps so that we can reproduce it at our end to see if it’s a system issue?

ok @Kal_Lam thanks for your attention. I am doing the following:

1. I select a project
  2. Click on form
  3. Click on “Other options” (3 points)
  4. Click on “Download XLS”

The result is that it does nothing, does not download the form and does not display any errors.

I have two projects. This morning I did the test with another and it did download the XLS without problem, but at the time of writing this message (hours later) neither of my two projects allows me to download either in XLS or XML format.

I also just realized that the “Set up my account” button (at the top and right of the page) is not working either.

1 Like

Hello @KalLam, I tell you that I already discovered what the problem is:

When I tap (not click) on any area of the touchpad of my laptop to simulate clicking on one of these points on the platform, then the form does not download and the “set up my account” button either, but when I do an click with the touchpad button, then everything works fine.

I’m commenting on the solution in case the same thing happens to someone else.

Greetings and thanks for your attention.

1 Like

Thank you, @Akratos, for sharing this with the entire community! :clap: :heart: :partying_face: