Using the select-one label attribute

Good day
We have a select-one list of vehicles, but vehicles come and go. Now I am considering using something like this below and later use a reference sheet to compare which vehicles is which.

name label
Vehicle_1
CY41MMSGP
Vehicle_2
DH72DDCGP
Vehicle_3
DH22DOLGP
Vehicle_4
CY4E1PHGP
Vehicle_5
CY491LHGP

The problem with this approach is that you also need to keep track of when the vehicles was used. As say a year later, vehicle one could have been on of many. Now I am trying to figure out if it’s possible to use the label as the data field in the database. Then only the driver of the new vehicle’s instance has to be updated.

From the above the jackpot would be if a user can have a bunch of pre-sets in the instance, lets say to add a vehicle registration number in his pre-sets, and then for every instance that data can be re-used up until his vehicle is replaced. So then every user can add an “unlisted” vehicle to his dataset to choose from. Maybe that can be a future request?

Regards

HI Bergie,

I am not sure this is helpful, but it seems like a simple solution would for you to separately manage a list of vehicle and have a unique barcode for each vehicle. You can easily print this barcode on a durable support and have that attached to the car – so instead of users selecting from a list, they would just scan the barcode. Would that help? Then there are no limits to how many vehicles are used, as long as they each have a unique barcode associated to them

···

Good day

We have a select-one list of vehicles, but vehicles come and go. Now I am considering using something like this below and later use a reference sheet to compare which vehicles is which.

name label

Vehicle_1

CY41MMSGP

Vehicle_2

DH72DDCGP

Vehicle_3

DH22DOLGP

Vehicle_4

CY4E1PHGP

Vehicle_5

CY491LHGP

The problem with this approach is that you also need to keep track of when the vehicles was used. As say a year later, vehicle one could have been on of many. Now I am trying to figure out if it’s possible to use the label as the data field in the database. Then only the driver of the new vehicle’s instance has to be updated.

From the above the jackpot would be if a user can have a bunch of pre-sets in the instance, lets say to add a vehicle registration number in his pre-sets, and then for every instance that data can be re-used up until his vehicle is replaced. So then every user can add an “unlisted” vehicle to his dataset to choose from. Maybe that can be a future request?

Regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsu...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to
kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Thanks
I was seriously considering a barcode. I am now trying to use .csv we can update but have diffuculties deploying it. See next post.

···

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 15:29:22 UTC+2, Bergie wrote:

Good day

name label
Vehicle_1
CY41MMSGP
Vehicle_2
DH72DDCGP
Vehicle_3
DH22DOLGP
Vehicle_4
CY4E1PHGP
Vehicle_5
CY491LHGP

Regards