- Support humanitarian action worldwide
- Devise and lead communications strategy; support effective grant proposal writing
- Work remotely; suitable for candidates with technology, nonprofit, humanitarian, development, education, public health, or similar backgrounds
We are looking for an enthusiastic Communications Specialist to fill a newly created full-time position at KoBo Inc, the nonprofit organization behind the leading humanitarian data collection toolkit, KoBoToolbox. You will promote our tools to our partners, users, and funders across new and existing channels and support our ongoing fundraising effort through grant writing.
Phenomenal copywriting and communication skills are essential for this position. Experience in corporate/nonprofit communications and project management are important qualities too. Your enthusiasm and positive attitude will help to create a professional approach to communication and to build trust among our many users and external parties alike. You will apply your skills to effectively showcase the impact that KoBoToolbox has had across all humanitarian emergencies and assist with writing grant proposals.
About KoBoToolbox and KoBo, Inc
KoBoToolbox is the most widely used software for data collection, management, and visualization platform in humanitarian crises. Founded in 2005 by a team of public health and conflict researchers, it has been managed since 2013 by a growing team based at the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative and Brigham and Women’s Hospital (a Harvard teaching hospital). Publicly hosted KoBoToolbox servers are used by more than 500,000 users worldwide who submitted more than 100 million surveys in 2020 to inform humanitarian, human rights, development, research, and public health emergency (including COVID-19) projects.
KoBo, Inc. was founded in 2019 as a nonprofit organization to host and maintain KoBoToolbox, and to support open source data systems and technology for global development, peace, human rights and humanitarian action. KoBoToolbox is a free, open source software specifically designed for humanitarians and researchers working in complex emergencies and resource-poor environments.
- Develop effective communication strategy
- Manage external communications (social media, website, newsletters, etc.)
- Develop a new blog or similar format to showcase our diverse global user base
- Work with Design Lead to review and update public website
- Review and improve copy throughout the KoBoToolbox software
- Manage the translation process and coordinate with volunteer translators
- Gather and report internal and external monitoring data
- Create or copyedit external reports and grant proposals
- Organize virtual events (e.g., webinars) with users, partners, and other specialists
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership
- Proven experience as communications specialist
- Experience in web content production, social media management
- Experience in copywriting and editing
- Experience in grant writing an asset
- Experience with video editing software is an asset
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Strong project management skills; the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines within tight timeframes
- Perfect command of English
- Command of another priority language (Arabic, Spanish, French) an asset
- BSc/BA or MSc/MA in public relations, communications or relevant field
- Demonstrated adaptability, flexibility, and resourcefulness in setting priorities and organizing work; a results-driven approach to setting goals and celebrating accomplishments
- Genuine interest in our mission
To Apply, please submit your application as soon as possible. Click here to access the application form.
- This is remote work position; all of KoBo’s team members work remotely in Canada, France, Kenya, Nepal, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- Work hours need to overlap at least partially with our team’s core workday (8am-5pm ET / 13:00-22:00 UTC)